Nikon SB-600 vs SB-800

Glimmerman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I would like to get a flash for my D80, but I don't know what the differences are between the 600 & 800 models. I understand the 800 can act as a master to control other flashes, but I won't use that. Is the 800 a more powerfull flash though? What else set these two apart, besided the price tag?

I've seen some comparisons on-line but I don't know where...try to Google it.

If you had bought a Canon...I could help you out...but that's what you get for buying a Nikon :D I'm kidding

There quite a few differences, best bet is to go to the Nikon site and check out the specs. A few things are the 800 is more powerful, has a 5th battery, includes diffusion dome, zoom to 105mm (instead of 85mm for the 600), flash head has more tilt options, faster recycling time, etc.

lol, yeah it was a toss up for me between Canon and Nikon.

Only reason I went with Nikon was because the D80 felt better in my hands than the XTI, and the D30 was just out of my price range unfortunately.

I actually wanted the new Pentax K10D coming out soon, to have the built in image stabilization, but that scared me because it is only their second generation DSLR for Pentax, and a moving sensor sounded like it would be a costly repair after the warranty ran out.

For someone just taking amateur photographs, I am probably ok to just get the 600.

i have a question along these lines too, im thinking about getting one of these for our school, does the 800 really have that much more power? the only place i can forsee needing the extra power is shooting football at night, but i don't even know if that'd be powerfull enough

I used the same review above a few weeks ago to pick up an SB-600, I have been shooting with it for a few weeks and I love it.
I did rent an SB-800 a week ago and I did like it but for what I am shooing it is toom much. I found the SB-600 easy to use and you can still shoot wireless, just with a few less options, If I was going to get a second flash I would pick up an SB-800 but for a first flash the SB-600 is great.

dsp921 said:
...faster recycling time...

Actually, the SB-600 has a faster recycling time and also more shoots... Because it uses less power...

Nope, the SB800 uses 5 batteries and has a recycle time of 2.7 seconds, the SB600 is 3.5 seconds. This is according to Nikon's specs. The SB600 will get about 50 more flashes, though.

The 800 has two recycling times because you can use a battery pack on the 800, but not on the 600. Without the pack, the SB-600 is much faster.

Approx. 2.7 seconds (manual, w/R6 (AA)-size Ni-Cd or Ni-MH batteries, with Quick Recycle Battery Pack SD-800)

Approx. 6 sec. [manual w/FR6 (AA-size Lithium batteries)]

The 600 is 3.5 seconds.

Glimmerman said:
The 800 has two recycling times because you can use a battery pack on the 800, but not on the 600. Without the pack, the SB-600 is much faster.

Approx. 2.7 seconds (manual, w/R6 (AA)-size Ni-Cd or Ni-MH batteries, with Quick Recycle Battery Pack SD-800)

Approx. 6 sec. [manual w/FR6 (AA-size Lithium batteries)]

The 600 is 3.5 seconds.

That's true, but if recycle time is a concern you'll use the battery pack. Regardless, you can get faster recycle times from the SB800 so my initial comment is correct.

Most reactions

Back