Nikon SB-700 Flash not powering off and controls are frozen?

woodcycl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a new SB-700 flash and I'm experiencing a situation whereby when I turn the dial to OFF, it won't shutoff. And, when this happens, none of the controls function. The only way to power it off or resolve the situation (that particular time) is to open the battery compartment lid and then pop it back on. I googled this and it seems others have experienced it but not all that often. I purchased it from Adorama and just started using it today. This has happened repeatedly now 3 times with normal use.

Thoughts??

Should I call Adorama or Nikon?

I am having this same problem with my SB-700.

Does anybody have a solution for this?

Call adorama. They're a delight to deal with. If Nikon needs to deal with the issue adorama will get you all set up with that, but most likely adorama will resolve it for you.

I've never really cared for the SB700. To me if you're not going to buy an SB910, you might as well get a Metz. To me, the Nikon speed light order of preference is something like:
1) SB910 2) Metz 58 AF-2 3) Metz 50 AF 4) Yongnuo 560 ex II 5) literally any flash that has optical 'dumb' slave mode and is cheap

I've never really cared for the SB700. To me if you're not going to buy an SB910, you might as well get a Metz. To me, the Nikon speed light order of preference is something like:
1) SB910 2) Metz 58 AF-2 3) Metz 50 AF 4) Yongnuo 560 ex II 5) literally any flash that has optical 'dumb' slave mode and is cheap

I don't disagree, but I didn't become familiar with the YN 560's (I own 4 of the Mark II units) until I had already bought the SB-700.

jwbryson1 said:
I don't disagree, but I didn't become familiar with the YN 560's (I own 4 of the Mark II units) until I had already bought the SB-700.

Yeah, that wasn't so much aimed at you as much as anybody searching for sb700 that might happen upon this thread.

wow. we have sb700's and have never had any problem with them at all. and its been a few years. maybe we just got lucky?
I dont have any experience with third party speedlights, since the 3 we have are all nikons. we were just thinking of adding another speedlight like another used sb700...IF we wanted to go third party, which ones would be equivalent to the sb700, and would work with nikons flash commander?

pixmedic said:
wow. we have sb700's and have never had any problem with them at all. and its been a few years. maybe we just got lucky?
I dont have any experience with third party speedlights, since the 3 we have are all nikons. we were just thinking of adding another speedlight like another used sb700...IF we wanted to go third party, which ones would be equivalent to the sb700, and would work with nikons flash commander?

The Metz 58 AF-2 is a decent upgrade from the sb700. Works with commander (and as a commander), has better power, and the second flash fill light is pretty awesome when you're bouncing. Build quality is great (Metz is primarily a commercial grade plastics maker, so their flashes are very durable. I've dropped mine from 10 feet without a scratch).

It's not that I'm anti Nikon flash. I think the sb910 is phenomenal. I just think after that you get better value with third party lights.

pixmedic said:

The Metz 58 AF-2 is a decent upgrade from the sb700. Works with commander (and as a commander), has better power, and the second flash fill light is pretty awesome when you're bouncing. Build quality is great (Metz is primarily a commercial grade plastics maker, so their flashes are very durable. I've dropped mine from 10 feet without a scratch).

It's not that I'm anti Nikon flash. I think the sb910 is phenomenal. I just think after that you get better value with third party lights.

thanks.. we will check out the metz flashes. can never have too many of them. and if they work with nikons CLS and as a commander, all the better.

pixmedic said:

thanks.. we will check out the metz flashes. can never have too many of them. and if they work with nikons CLS and as a commander, all the better.

The YN 560 Mark II units ($79 each) work in slave mode too and will fire when your SB-700 fires without needing a radio trigger. I've used them in this fashion and they've worked flawlessly.

Nikon announced the SB-700 in mid September of 2010, so it's been shipping just a tad over 2 years now.

Being mass produced consumer electronics, some % of SB-700's will have issues of one kind or another.
The unit should have the manufacturers warranty, and Adorama has a returns policy.

Nikon announced the SB-700 in mid September of 2010, so it's been shipping just a tad over 2 years now.

Being mass produced consumer electronics, some % of SB-700's will have issues of one kind or another.
The unit should have the manufacturers warranty, and Adorama has a returns policy.

I bought it on 9/13/2011, so it's been a little over a year. I emailed Adorama and I'm waiting to hear back from them.

pixmedic said:

Yeah, to be clear the 58 works as a commander and CLS slave. The 50 can't do commander, but can do everything else.

pixmedic said:

Yeah, to be clear the 58 works as a commander and CLS slave. The 50 can't do commander, but can do everything else.

we have the SB700 for commander, and the camera itself has flash commander. it would just be for extra off camera lighting and/or spares.

pixmedic said:

we have the SB700 for commander, and the camera itself has flash commander. it would just be for extra off camera lighting and/or spares.

Then I'd get the 50 unless you want the bounce fill light or need the extra power.

Adorama never got back to me, so I called them and they told me too bad. Call Nikon.

If I contact Helen, do you think I'll get the same response from her?

Most reactions

Back