Nikon to fujifilm

Byrnew

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all,

I bought my first camera a few months back a Nikon D3500 . I am realy enjoying it and getting into the world of photography. I do love the photos that I am getting out of the D3500. I have read that the photos straight out of the fujifilm xt20/ xt30 the colours are realy great . I do love the look of it and I have read that the 18-55 mm kit kense is one of the best to come with a camera. So my question is would it be worth the jump to invest in one of those cameras to move up . Would it produce better quality photos or allow me to do more than the D3500 that I have now ?? I do use the 35mm prime lense on my nikon mostly and realy love it for every day use. Would the fujifilm 18-55mm kit lense be as sharp / good as that prine lense ?

Thanks

Wayne

I moved to Fuji a few years ago - and I really enjoy using their bodies and lenses.

I couldn't guarantee better images from any move in camera systems, as you can't really buy a 'bad' camera these days, and the type of body is a secondary factor compared to technique and lenses.

But what I like about Fuji is ....

1. I like the manual controls on my X-T2 as they mimic my old film cameras, so I find operation very intuitive
2. The jpeg images look great straight out of the camera - so often no need for post processing.
3. High quality Fuji lenses
4. Nice balance of system size and capability

What I feel could be better includes ....

No IBIS in the X-T bodies - but most Fuji zoom lenses are stabilized

Few third party lenses - but it's growing

Some lenses are expensive

Full Frame can give better control over depth of field

- But overall I really like the Fuji system.

Although no zoom will be as sharp as a good prime, although the 16-55 is close and the 18-55 is good for a zoom.

I moved to Fuji a few years ago - and I really enjoy using their bodies and lenses.

I couldn't guarantee better images from any move in camera systems, as you can't really buy a 'bad' camera these days, and the type of body is a secondary factor compared to technique and lenses.

But what I like about Fuji is ....

1. I like the manual controls on my X-T2 as they mimic my old film cameras, so I find operation very intuitive
2. The jpeg images look great straight out of the camera - so often no need for post processing.
3. High quality Fuji lenses
4. Nice balance of system size and capability

What I feel could be better includes ....

No IBIS in the X-T bodies - but most Fuji zoom lenses are stabilized

Few third party lenses - but it's growing

Some lenses are expensive

Full Frame can give better control over depth of field

- But overall I really like the Fuji system.

Although no zoom will be as sharp as a good prime, although the 16-55 is close and the 18-55 is good for a zoom.
Hello, Thanks very much for your reply . There are some great points there that has helped me .

I switched from a professional setup with a Nikon D810 and D500 with lots of professional lenses to a Fuji X-T3 setup.

I like it, and I wouldn’t go back. That being said, I had an X-T20 before the X-T3 and was never really a fan of it.. the body felt too small in my hands and I had to dig into the menu system to change even the simplest settings. Then again, I was coming from professional bodies that have external controls for everything, so you’re experience coming from the D3500 might well be different as they both lack external controls.

As far as image quality, the Fuji’s definitely have a better jpeg engine. If you shoot in RAW it doesn’t make much difference.

I would recommend getting much more familiar with photography before worrying about upgrading your equipment. Better equipment in unskilled hands will not necessarily result in better pictures.

If you haven't reached the "limits" of what you are currently using, what is the point of "better" equipment?

Both systems have the ability to produce a quality image from a technical standpoint. For me, the switch from a D3300 to an XT2 was simply from the way I wanted to approach photography, similar to 35mm film. I was and still shoot with a Nikon F series body, aperture rings, control dials, so it was to standardize my approach procedure. I think the glass is wonderful for fujifilm but Nikon has just as good glass if you do the research. Jpeg output is better with Fujifilm if you shoot in it or convert the raw in camera. If you shoot raw, not much different. One advantage with Fujifilm is in the ability to adapt legacy glass if your into that sort of thing, I have done it but not my thing at the end of the day. Another advantage to Fujifilm is manual focusing, it has a wonderful feature called focus peaking highlights which is very handy at times. If I could offer any advise, it would be to ask yourself what the D3500 is not doing for you? For me, it was simply a way different approach from my Nikon F in making an image so I sought to get as close as I could to it and Fujifilm XT2 was the answer. If you can't answer the question, stick with your current system master it and go from there.

If you decide to switch over, go for the Xt2 or Xt3.

Yes the 18-55 is super sharp and having the zoom gives a lot of flexibility. I also have the 35mm f/2 and on the Xt2 it is the fastest focusing lens I have ever used. So fast that I thought it wasn't working!

I switched from a professional setup with a Nikon D810 and D500 with lots of professional lenses to a Fuji X-T3 setup.

I like it, and I wouldn’t go back. That being said, I had an X-T20 before the X-T3 and was never really a fan of it.. the body felt too small in my hands and I had to dig into the menu system to change even the simplest settings. Then again, I was coming from professional bodies that have external controls for everything, so you’re experience coming from the D3500 might well be different as they both lack external controls.

As far as image quality, the Fuji’s definitely have a better jpeg engine. If you shoot in RAW it doesn’t make much difference.
Hiya, thanks very much for your reply and information. Id only shiot in jpeg il drop into a shop and get a feel of it and see how it feels .

I would recommend getting much more familiar with photography before worrying about upgrading your equipment. Better equipment in unskilled hands will not necessarily result in better pictures.

If you haven't reached the "limits" of what you are currently using, what is the point of "better" equipment?
Hiya, that is very true I guess I'm trying to run before I can walk . I'm still very new to the camera world so u make a very good point. I am very happy with the photos that I am getting from the Nikon at the moment so as to say I should get more skill in the hobbie before upgrading . Thanks very much for your input :)

Both systems have the ability to produce a quality image from a technical standpoint. For me, the switch from a D3300 to an XT2 was simply from the way I wanted to approach photography, similar to 35mm film. I was and still shoot with a Nikon F series body, aperture rings, control dials, so it was to standardize my approach procedure. I think the glass is wonderful for fujifilm but Nikon has just as good glass if you do the research. Jpeg output is better with Fujifilm if you shoot in it or convert the raw in camera. If you shoot raw, not much different. One advantage with Fujifilm is in the ability to adapt legacy glass if your into that sort of thing, I have done it but not my thing at the end of the day. Another advantage to Fujifilm is manual focusing, it has a wonderful feature called focus peaking highlights which is very handy at times. If I could offer any advise, it would be to ask yourself what the D3500 is not doing for you? For me, it was simply a way different approach from my Nikon F in making an image so I sought to get as close as I could to it and Fujifilm XT2 was the answer. If you can't answer the question, stick with your current system master it and go from there.
Hiya, thanks for your reply. I guess I am getting what I want out of my nikon . I use the prime 35mm mostly and bought a 70mm-300mm a month ago and used it for the first time last week and I was so impressed with how far it zoomed and the quality of the photos. I guess in my head I have a budget entry level camera and was thinking by upgrading I'd get better quality images ut realy I am happy with the ones I am getting. Thanks again

Yes the 18-55 is super sharp and having the zoom gives a lot of flexibility. I also have the 35mm f/2 and on the Xt2 it is the fastest focusing lens I have ever used. So fast that I thought it wasn't working!
Hiya , I was looking at the xt2 but I read there is no automatic mode on it . I do tend to use this mode a bit and only start getting into aperature mode and learning this mode . I do like the fact the xt2 is weather sealed especially living in ireland the way the weather does be. Thanks for the reply :)

Hiya , I was looking at the xt2 but I read there is no automatic mode on it . I do tend to use this mode a bit and only start getting into aperature mode and learning this mode . I do like the fact the xt2 is weather sealed especially living in ireland the way the weather does be. Thanks for the reply :)

While there is no specific Auto mode button, you can set the Aperture, Shutter Speed, ISO and White Balance all to auto which is essentially the same thing.

That being said if there is no specific reason that you’re thinking of changing, for example you don’t like the output of the Nikon colors or you don’t like the way the auto focus works then you should wait. If you’re happy with the results you’re getting, wait until you know more about what type of photographer you’re going to be and what the features are that you are going to put the most value on. Just don’t buy a ton of lenses for the Nikon until you’re sure that’s the system that you want to keep. The more you put into one system, the more expensive it is to make the switch.

Hiya, thanks for your reply. I guess I am getting what I want out of my nikon . I use the prime 35mm mostly and bought a 70mm-300mm a month ago and used it for the first time last week and I was so impressed with how far it zoomed and the quality of the photos. I guess in my head I have a budget entry level camera and was thinking by upgrading I'd get better quality images ut realy I am happy with the ones I am getting. Thanks again

Your welcome. That D3500 is a fine camera as is the glass you chose. If you want to expand on your glass at some jucture, this guy has some real good info on a lot of Nikon glass, both old and new alike. Lens Evaluations. At some point, you may want to upgrade into the Nikon Z series mirrorless. That way, you can use your existing glass by way of an adapter. I think this would be a more economical approach at the end of the day. The adapter won't auto focus the older AF-D series, screw drive lenses, which is a bit of a bummer but since you don't have any, no worries. Save your money, use it to travel to interesting places to photograph. Study composition, light & shadow, and how to see and or look. Study flash photography, it really will take your imagery to another level... @Derrel guided me and directed me to this sight, brilliant people really. Strobist

Last edited:

While there is no specific Auto mode button, you can set the Aperture, Shutter Speed, ISO and White Balance all to auto which is essentially the same thing.

That being said if there is no specific reason that you’re thinking of changing, for example you don’t like the output of the Nikon colors or you don’t like the way the auto focus works then you should wait. If you’re happy with the results you’re getting, wait until you know more about what type of photographer you’re going to be and what the features are that you are going to put the most value on. Just don’t buy a ton of lenses for the Nikon until you’re sure that’s the system that you want to keep. The more you put into one system, the more expensive it is to make the switch.
Hiya, thanks again goid to know I can set each mode to auto if needed. But you are right il hold off and learn more before investing and il keep putting something aside and when I feel the time is right il have the money to get a ice camera. I. Happy with the 3 lenses I have they cover everything formed so I wont invest anymore until i am 100% sure . Thanks again;-)

Your welcome. That D3500 is a fine camera as is the glass you chose. If you want to expand on your glass at some jucture, this guy has some real good info on a lot of Nikon glass, both old and new alike. Lens Evaluations. At some point, you may want to upgrade into the Nikon Z series mirrorless. That way, you can use your existing glass by way of an adapter. I think this would be a more economical approach at the end of the day. The adapter won't auto focus the older AF-D series, screw drive lenses, which is a bit of a bummer but since you don't have any, no worries. Save your money, use it to travel to interesting places to photograph. Study composition, light & shadow, and how to see and or look. Study flash photography, it really will take your imagery to another level... @Derrel guided me and directed me to this sight, brilliant people really. Strobist
Hiya, thanks for you time to reply. I will keep going with what I have and learn more rather than jump ahead it does make sense . And il study the flash sonething I never thought I'd need it use but again I know nothing about that part . Thanks again:)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back