Nikon video...

lennon33x

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm venturing into brand new territory here, so go easy on me Nikonians.

I've shot Canon since the beginning. I know that Canon is good with video. I have a 5D Mark I, and the wife said that she wanted to video the kids. So my options are:

1.) Upgrade to 5D Mk II
2.) Buy separate Canon DSLR w/video capabilities (i.e. T2i)
3.) Buy separate craptastic video camera that I really don't want to do but will make my wife happy and I'll live longer
4.) Buy decently priced (i.e. not a bajillion dollars) Nikon dslr and use EOS to Nikon Mount adapter for video.

Criteria:
Either have to get superb deal on camera, or sell my 5D plus cash to upgrade to Mark II. (somewhere around $700)

What Nikon cameras (crop) are good/decent for video? I'm not afraid of older models. Keep in mind, this is the equivalent of busting out VHS tapes to watch my 5th birthday party and see what a goofy kid I was.

So. Thanks. Yeah

[Shh.. stay behind me my fellow Nikonians. I'll distract him, then you can attack!]

Lol. Well I guess my question would be are you going to be the one taking the video or is this something both you and your wife plan to do? If both of you will be using it as a video camera I'd probably go with the separate camera so you don't find yourself in a situation where you need your camera for stills and it's busy at the moment taking video someplace else. If your going to do the separate camera I'd probably get another Canon - might as well have something you can use your current lenses on without an adapter.

If that isn't a concern then I'd probably look at upgrading to the Mark II - it will give you the video and it will also be a pretty good step up from your 5D Mark I

[Shh.. stay behind me my fellow Nikonians. I'll distract him, then you can attack!]

Lol. Well I guess my question would be are you going to be the one taking the video or is this something both you and your wife plan to do? If both of you will be using it as a video camera I'd probably go with the separate camera so you don't find yourself in a situation where you need your camera for stills and it's busy at the moment taking video someplace else.

If that isn't a concern then I'd probably look at upgrading to the Mark II - it will give you the video and it will also be a pretty good step up from your 5D Mark I

Grrr I hate you so hard! Here! Take all of my monies!!!!

Jk. All jokes aside, it would probably be me. I would love to upgrade (and probably will at some point), but truthfully, I'd like another camera for own selfish reasons for:
1.) A backup
2.) To free up for stills, just in case I'm taking photos, and she can do that dang ole' dang ole' video-ing

Lol. Well I guess my question would be are you going to be the one taking the video or is this something both you and your wife plan to do? If both of you will be using it as a video camera I'd probably go with the separate camera so you don't find yourself in a situation where you need your camera for stills and it's busy at the moment taking video someplace else.

Grrr I hate you so hard! Here! Take all of my monies!!!!

Jk. All jokes aside, it would probably be me. I would love to upgrade (and probably will at some point), but truthfully, I'd like another camera for own selfish reasons for:
1.) A backup
2.) To free up for stills, just in case I'm taking photos, and she can do that dang ole' dang ole' video-ing

Well in that case probably a Canon of some sort, and you know if you hit ebay and happen to find a used one with a lens you don't already have going for a good price that's just a bonus. You can probably pick up a used T2I pretty cheap.

The 3000 series does well for video. I have a couple 3100 that I use for pickup shots and with a VR lens they do very well. The only limiting factor is the audio features are a bit lacking from a production standpoint.

What type of videos are you talking about?

IMHO.. an iPhone 5s is probably the best 'Family' video camera around. Battery lasts a long time, great video quality, excellent built in video editing, 120fps slow motion, 1080p recording... and it fits in your pocket.

DSLR's are big, bulky, noisy (unless you get good glass you can hear the lens in the video) and big (did i already say that?).

If your going to build a professional rig then maybe a DSLR.. but who wants this..
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51RQ4+oUB0L.jpg

When this does everything you want..

http://static.trustedreviews.com/94/000024905/3b54_orh616w616/Apple-iPhone-5-video.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

IMHO.. an iPhone 5s is probably the best 'Family' video camera around. Battery lasts a long time, great video quality, excellent built in video editing, 120fps slow motion, 1080p recording... and it fits in your pocket.

DSLR's are big, bulky, noisy (unless you get good glass you can hear the lens in the video) and big (did i already say that?).

If your going to build a professional rig then maybe a DSLR.. but who wants this..

http://static.trustedreviews.com/94/000024905/3b54_orh616w616/Apple-iPhone-5-video.jpg
Because you seriously overestimate the 5S's capabilities for something like this.

This post ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ was brought to you by Ken "TheLost" Rockwell. ;-)

I have an iPhone 5. And no, I don't want that quality. I want good quality video. DSLR worthy video. But at a cost that's worth it. I take tons of video on my iPhone, but use mostly the Instagram version, because I'm fond of the snippets of video I can make.

They have Lightroom coming out on the iPad. Do I want to use it? Hell no. Because with my images, I want to see the images on my computer, likewise with video. I appreciate your input. But I'll pass

Brunerww (Bill) did a post recently where he ranked some cameras on their video capabilities. He's very "up on" video.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...cts/351602-dslr-camera-video-photography.html

You mean the thread where he and JerryLove were bickering. I found the thread amusing, and learned a lot about moire. But, the info on what I was requesting was meh

We really need a pit around here.. with some oddly shaped bladed weapons so folks can settle this in fights to the death. Oh.. and quatloos.. yup.. so the rest of us can wager on the outcome. Hmm.. sounds like a good thing to put Runnah in charge of actually.. lol

We really need a pit around here.. with some oddly shaped bladed weapons so folks can settle this in fights to the death. Oh.. and quatloos.. yup.. so the rest of us can wager on the outcome. Hmm.. sounds like a good thing to put Runnah in charge of actually.. lol

This was [expletive] hilarious!

This post ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ was brought to you by Ken "TheLost" Rockwell. ;-)

Bahahahahahahahaha

First... I have a video production background.
Second... I don't recommend something unless i have experience with it.

I have 3 active kids and terabytes of home movies. If you cant get good video out of an iPhone then your not going to get good video out of a DSLR.

Maybe somebody could tell me what the OP's kids are going to be doing that requires a DSLR? He's already said his budget is small... I've shot video with lower end DSLR's like the D3100 (runnah mentioned) and the T2i.

At the end of the day i'd rather use an iPhone.

Most reactions

Back