Nikon vs Canon Image Sensor

jvgig

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
As I do not own any lenses, I am going to base my purchase off of which company will offer the best product now, and in the future. I have read that Nikon uses Sony image senors and that Canon makes their own. Who has the better technology now, and who has the best R&D, Sony or Canon?

Thanks

Pepsi or Coke? Ford or Chevy or Dodge? Red or Blue?

I don't believe there is any large advantage to either system over the other.

If you are comparing image sensors, to decide which one to get...you are looking to close. I would recommend holding the different camera models in your hands, play with them a bit and get the one that feels best to you. This will mean more than the difference in the sensors....because they are both very very good.

For sensors my first choice was Canon, until Nikon decided to wake up from it's long slumber and came out with the D3. D3 kicks the socks off of any sensors (35mm format that is) out there at the moment for high ISO performance.

But if low/available light work is not a priority for you, I'd toss a coin.

Note: No bias here when I named D3. I'm in the Canon camp and least concerned about brand fanaticism. All I'm concerned is what's inside.

They're also different in various price classes. Canon has been leading by using CMOS sensors, which Sony is moving to as well. The lower end cameras are still using CCD sensors.

However, it is still more about the lenses than anything else, except at the extreme fringes of photography (extreme low-light, high ISO, that kind of stuff) - the lens bends the light, all the sensor does is record it.

But to answer your question: Canon is a lot more committed to cameras (in terms of over-all company R&D, and it's company's image) to photography than Sony is. If you're just weighing those two companies, Canon is your winner hands-down.

Close, but no banana. The new D300 (mid range Nikon, should rival or beat the Canon offerings too). I will concede your point by taking into account the P&S market however.

The D2H beat the socks of any sensor out there too. Arr the 30D did in it's price range. Oh wait the D300 with it's Sony sensor is awesome. No wait I think i'll buy the 5D for it's full frame sensor.

Who has the best R&D? Are you serious? If one of the companies had better R&D than the other there wouldn't be anymore competition. These guys have been around since the 19err earlies. Even a slight lapse in R&D or in technology, and they would be toast.

I equate this to the Intel vs. AMD debate in the PC world. First single core, MMX, Hyperthreading, Opteron, X64, Duo Core, Core 2 Duo, Quad Core, on and on and on. Both will perform admirably regardless of make. Your just really splitting hairs at this point. Like CPU chips, the tech in sensors will evolve exponentially. I was actually surprised that I was able to crop into a tiny section of a frame I took on my 20D at 8.1 MP and it was still sharp. Go figure.

As I do not own any lenses, I am going to base my purchase off of which company will offer the best product now, and in the future. I have read that Nikon uses Sony image senors and that Canon makes their own. Who has the better technology now, and who has the best R&D, Sony or Canon?

Thanks

If you are going to make your decision about which company offers the best products right this very minute, I advise you to forget about the sensors entirely... in fact, set aside the cameras themselves.

IMHO by far, bar none, the most important part of image quality is the lenses...

I am not discounting the importance of sensors and other factors, I am just saying that they don't matter nearly as much as the glass you buy... simply because you will still be shooting that glass 15 years from now, while the body you are buying will have been long, LONG ago either put away on the shelf as part of your collection of antique cameras, sold on eBay or simply tossed in the trash.

My motto is to buy as nice of glass as you can possibly afford and as little camera as you can possibly get away with.

In 5 years, the sensors of either camera will be hopelessly outdated and entirely obsolete... and perhaps that may be true much sooner than 5 years.

Good (full frame) glass doesn't go out of style.

Here we go again... :mrgreen:

It's all about preference, nothing more nothing less, brands are always competing especially N & C, if Nikon is lacking in R&D, the answer is D3.

My point is never trust (100%) anyone who claims which brand is the best. They are honest, trustworthy and nothing wrong with their suggestion, that is what they feel perfectly best for them, But maybe not yours. And who want to use the equipment? You or they?

My advise is to go find the most suitable system for yourself by yourself. Most of us have done that job. ;)

Most reactions

Back