Nikon vs. Canon Lenses - Price?

ANDS!

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Why the heck are third-party lenses more expensive than their Canon counterparts? It's bumming me out constantly looking for a third-party lens, seeing a "good" deal, and then being slapped in the face with the "Canon" imprint, and seeing the Nikon lens some 100-200 dollars more.

What gives!

Almost all the time...the 3rd party lenses are less expensive than the Canon lenses.

I missed a word/phrase in there:

Nikon versus Canon third-party lenses. Not Canon versus third party lenses.

Can you give some examples?

I have always seen that a 3rd party lens is the same price with either a Canon or a Nikon mount.

That's very odd... must be a local thing I guess. Over here (UK) if a shop sells a Tamron, Sigma, Tokina etc for Canon, Nikon, Pentax etc the lens will nearly always cost the same for all mounts.

If you are saying Canon third party lenses are more expensive than Nikon third party lenses it was always my understanding that the Canon ones were more because they have a motor in the lens. I am not a Canon person but I think that is the reason. I guess if that's the case you will be happy to look at the 3rd party lenses (if there are any) designed to work with the D40.

Well that may have been the case but now all Sigma HSM lenses (the ones with the motor in the lens) are available for both Canon and Nikon. AFAIK Tamron and Tokina don't make lenses with motors yet.

I think he's saying that these lenses cost more in a Nikon mount than in a Canon mount where he is. That is curious, isn't it?

Very curious... I'd suggest going to the store/s in question and pointing out that this price difference doesn't seem to exist throughout the rest of the world ;) if they still won't reduce the price then I guess just buy it from B&H or somewhere like that.

Btw I'm assuming you were looking at actual stores... obviously if you're looking at used lenses on eBay, that's a different matter and it's not unusual for prices to be fairly inconsistent.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back