Nikon vs Canon

Rob

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jan 29, 2005
Messages
6,217
Reaction score
134
Location
London
Website
www.ukphotographs.com
Tee hee, made you look. :lmao:

Just a quick note to those of you who have switched from Nikon film to Canon digital to say that those lens adaptors really do work.

I have a nice collection of lenses for my Nikons and Contax cameras and to be honest, they pee all over the very plasticy cheap lenses I have for my Canon. Obviously you need to manually focus and adjust aperture, but to those of us who have grown up shooting in A or fully manual, this is actually quicker than fiddling with menus.

There are some drawbacks: it's tricky to focus at f22 as it's very dark, the lens should be focussed wide open and then stopped down for the shot. Also, the 20D needs to be in Av or M mode (obviously). However, it really works well and exposes perfectly with very little fuss.

I bought the adaptor from Hong Kong and it arrived with no problems within two weeks.

So, if any of you have any old primes lying around, I'd urge you to spend the ÂŁ8-ÂŁ15 for one of these magic rings. Be careful with your pinkies though, it's razor sharp cheaply tooled alloy and is not very pleasant to get on and off.

It also gives me a great answer to all those "which is better" threads: "Both!" :greenpbl:

I'm now going to get a full frame DSLR to take even more advantage of the wider lenses.

Rob
 
And here is the proof....

IMG_0009.jpg
 
Dammit

I'm hunting for MF lenses and all I need are post like these to increase the demand!

A bit off topic... but the topic is nikon vs canon so I should be OK

Tell me about contax lenses. They have two mounts - one with electronical contacts. Are they backwards compatible? I haven't seen A/M switch on them like the zenit helios 58mm has.

Thank you so much.
 
DocFrankenstein said:
Dammit

I'm hunting for MF lenses and all I need are post like these to increase the demand!

A bit off topic... but the topic is nikon vs canon so I should be OK

Tell me about contax lenses. They have two mounts - one with electronical contacts. Are they backwards compatible? I haven't seen A/M switch on them like the zenit helios 58mm has.

Thank you so much.

AFAIK the newer style AF C-Y MM lenses are backward compatible with manual Contax/Yash bodies, but they're not interchangeable with the MF cameras.

Rob
 
Rob said:
AFAIK the newer style AF C-Y MM lenses are backward compatible with manual Contax/Yash bodies, but they're not interchangeable with the MF cameras.
I didn't mean manual focus... Should've clarified that.

What I meant to ask:
Can you stop down new contax lenses manually with the adapter?
 
DocFrankenstein said:
I didn't mean manual focus... Should've clarified that.

What I meant to ask:
Can you stop down new contax lenses manually with the adapter?

As long as the lens has an aperture ring it should work as it disengages the stop down shutter mechanism. However, if the lens' aperture is controlled electronically it won't work (like with the newer "digital" lenses). The simple test is to take the lens off camera and turn the aperture ring. If the lens stops down it'll work. All mine do and some are older C-Y and some are the newer AF ones.

Rob
 
wow..i've been really thinking of doing that.
but i have a maxxum slr and i have been looking for some good minolta glass and i have found nothing but really expensive lenses.
i bought the 50mm f/1.4 and i'm very pleased with it and its price.
i was wondering if i'd be better off with buying an adapter for nikon (or canon) mount or just sticking with minolta?
 
Manual focus Contax lenses with the Contax/Yashica bayonet mount come in 2 flavors AE and MM. The AE lenses were made in Germany and are older than the MM lenses which were made in Japan. They are interchangeable.

The Contax N mount has electrical contacts for autofocus/aperture control and are not interchangeable with the C/Y mount lenses.
 
Well I just hope your Canon doesn't get ill from putting Nikkors on it :lol: :lol:

I have a friend who uses a 1DS mkII with PK lenses
 

Most reactions

Back
Top