Nikon vs Canon...

DepthAfield

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
In no way am I attempting to spawn a heated Nikon vs. Canon discussion with this thread, but I’m curious…

Has anyone looked into reliability issues with either of these brands?

A friend of mine, who is a die-hard Canon shooter, has had some of the worst luck with Canon film bodies. He has gone through two bodies in the past 8 months… The first camera had a film transport problem (only advancing film 2/3rd frame). His second Canon has developed a sticky shutter. I’m not sure of the models, but I do know they are not “entry level”, nor are they “pro”… Somewhere in between, “pro-sumer” I would guess.

I’ve used Nikon bodies for years, both film and digital and have never experienced any trouble whatsoever. It makes me wonder if Canon has a quality issue.

Thoughts?

Sounds like bad luck to me...

I have not seen anything to support that either company's cameras are more robust than the other. There are certain issued which have popped up over the years. Like Canon EOS 650, 620, 630 bodies with oily shutters...but that was back in the late 80s / early 90s and the have corrected the design flaw.

I've used Nikons for over 35 years, film and digital. If I didn't have a ton of Nikon equipment I may have switched to Canon a few years back.

I think one is as good as the other.

I think your friend just had some bad luck.

ditto to the above two. i've had a nikon that acted up a couple times, but i got it working again. those aren't common problems...if they were, nobody would buy the products. both camera companies make very reliable cameras if kept up correctly. even if something happens, you should have a warranty to help take care of it.

Both are excellent and reliable systems. I had a Canon AE-1 for many years and did have it refurbished a couple of times but I did shoot thousands of rolls of film through it as well.

I now have Nikon cameras FM2n and F5 mostly because I can use the same lenses on both bodies. You can't do that with Canon. The old FD lenses for the manual bodies won't work on the new AF/Digital bodies.

Both companies occasionally have had issues. Both are rock-solid for the most part, however. Neither one is clearly superior to the other across the board, which is why they both have huge market shares.

Most reactions

Back