Nikon vs. Canon

Mel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I went into one of my local Ritz Camera shops and I was going into seeing the camera of my dreams. Nikon D200. Well the guy I was talking too, is a Canon lover and he was telling me all about how Canon is better and what not. And I went on to tell him, that I wanted to eventually take pictures at an in home studio. And he went on to say that the Nikon you have to purchase Nikon equipment to really let that work right, but with the Canon it has it's own place for hook up to lightening and you can basically buy any brand to shoot with. And He brought up a lot of other features that the canon has. and It all sounded good to me. So i guess my question is Canon or Nikon? What i find is that most people shoot Canon? why? I guess i really don't care either way. I just want the best :) One more question, what is the Canon camera that is the same as the Nikon D200? I hope this all makes sense.

Thanks a bunch,

First off you need to realize that you were talking to a salesman, and he makes commission. Secondly, you need to make up your own mind about a camera system. Do you really think that so many people would use Nikon if you had to use Nikon everything with it? You have opened up pandora's box with this one. Me, I'm Nikon all the way, they have had the best glass in 35mm for years and it's all about the glass.

but lots of people think L glass is the best. I really dont think it is something you can prove one way or the other is better. Find something at is comfortable for you and fits your budget. and if your budget is unlimited, go medium format and screw both nikon AND canon.

for real. haha. i shoot nikon, and would say that there aren't many good arguments out there that would put nikon ahead of canon, if any.

just remember that its about the photographer, not the camera. there are great photos being made with both nikon and canon.

just realize there is no full frame nikon camera out there, and that the d2xs isn't worth the extra money when comparing it to the 5d.

i'm in the same boat as you, and am making the switch from nikon to canon asap.

considering where both companies are at right now, i put canon ahead by a mile. JUST REMEMBER YOUR HEARING THAT FROM A NIKON USER.

pro nikon arguments:
better glass (i find this debatable)
not as bad of falloff (i think the natural vignetting of canon is nice, and software can correct it)
nikons 80-200 f/2.8mm lens is better than what canon has to offer
SB-800's are amazing ( i think they are better than canons 580)
tougher lenses and bodies (i agree)
better body design as far as button placement etc. (debatable)

pro canon arguments:
-better imaging chips
-full frame sensors
-cheaper glass in u.s.
-higher res pro bodies.
-better customer service
-faster focus systems (from my experience, but may not be 100% true)
-when you order somthing from canon you get it, with nikon its backordered FOREVER
-better tilt shift lenses available.

also fotolady, if your not shooting 35mm its not all about the glass. i'm with you that good glass is really really important, but if your imaging chip can't realize what the lens can, then whats the point. even if nikons glass is better, the imaging chips are not. canon is by default sharper.
while nikon has higher dynamic range, canon is killing nikon in sharpness on the chip side of things. . .

go to www.dpreview.com and read the d200 review

First off, the Nikon D200 does just fine for studio work. He is not quite right there.
I have used both. Both are great systems. I am just a Nikon user from way back, so I have that comfort thing working.

Buy what feels good to you.

Perfer the manly feel of the Nikon bodies versus the girlie dainty feel of the Canons.:lol:

newrmdmike said:
also fotolady, if your not shooting 35mm its not all about the glass. i'm with you that good glass is really really important, but if your imaging chip can't realize what the lens can, then whats the point. even if nikons glass is better, the imaging chips are not. canon is by default sharper.
while nikon has higher dynamic range, canon is killing nikon in sharpness on the chip side of things. . .

go to www.dpreview.com and read the d200 review

Exactly right, that is why I still shoot film. Digital is not there yet. Did I start another debate? :wink:

Digital is there yet, compare some prints from other people and see if you can tell any difference between digital and film.

i will agree that from medium format up film has it, but 35mm is not that great. its just cheap and easy.

mel is obviously going with digital, so discuss digital nikon vs. digital canon

These two brands are the two leading brands of digital SLR. I guess that says all you need to know. Obviously you can get the results you want with either system.

newrmdmike said:
Digital is there yet, compare some prints from other people and see if you can tell any difference between digital and film.

i will agree that from medium format up film has it, but 35mm is not that great. its just cheap and easy.

mel is obviously going with digital, so discuss digital nikon vs. digital canon

Relax, I was stating my opinion and you are welcome to state yours but no digital is NOT there yet and yes I shoot 35, 6x6 and 4x5. I have shot with digital SLR's and my manual focus Nikon F3 can run rings around all of them. Until digital can give me a creamy black and white then it's not there.

i am relaxed, sorry, but this is tough on me as i'm changing systems, and strongly needing to justify it.

are you still printing everything yourself on silver? because if thats the "film feel" your talking about, then know that i print plenty of digital, to silver. and know people who print digital to platinum. . . in fact the most beautiful platinum prints i've ever seen started out in digital cameras.

if your talking about the pure dynamic range, and beautiful grain graduations, then i agree film has a beauty that i don't think digital will ever have.

however, as i am no master printer in the darkroom, and don't have time to hand print everything, and can't afford to pay a master printer digital is the path i have chosen.

if i could afford to shoot everything film i would, however i am in business. the digital workflow has proven itself to me in both cost and image results.

a friend of mine who tought most of the photography professors at my university is a master printer and master photographer, yet he chooses digital now for the ease. while ease isn't everything, perhaps photography is more about what you see than how you present what you see.

Yes the beautiful gradiations that Oriental paper from a negative will give you. I print all the B&W prints that I sell because that is what they are looking for, it is art. If I still had my studio open I would probably be shooting digital as well however, I have the luxury and pleasure to be able to sell fine art pieces. Therefore, I could use no other than film. When it comes to digital I truely wish that Nikon would come out with a full frame sensor, I have some great wide angle lenses. I'm sure it is great to not have to drop your film off at the lab, come back and edit, then come back again and pick up the prints. To be able to delete as you shoot and to know that you would never have a shutter problem without knowing about it. ;)

So Mel. Did you get your question answered?

Oh and I am a dedicated Nikon user both film and digital. Been shooting Nikons since 1976. I'm to damn old to switch.

ladyphotog said:
Relax, I was stating my opinion and you are welcome to state yours but no digital is NOT there yet and yes I shoot 35, 6x6 and 4x5. I have shot with digital SLR's and my manual focus Nikon F3 can run rings around all of them. Until digital can give me a creamy black and white then it's not there.

I think newrmdmike was merely pointing oiut that the original poster didn't ask about medium format v 35mm or v any other type of film. The original question, I believe, was should i buy a canon dslr or a nikon dslr.

I'm not disagreeing on the quality of medium format (although I've never used it) but that should be discussed on another thread methinks:mrgreen:

Most reactions

Back