Nikon vs. Canon?

isn't that pretty much what i said? I didn't say anything about reading reviews off the internet but i did say about actually trying out the product.

and I'm sorry, I guess I should have said "most nikon users, most canon users". There probably is a small percentaile that are totally unbiased about which camera is the best, but most out there will tell someone to go with the camera that they use.(if it's an option) Since that is what they consider to be "the best". And what I said really isnt irrelevant issue.

The OP had asked if either brand took a better picture. That's why I had to comment on that both take excellent pictures. But you will find that MOST canon users/nikon users will say that their camera takes better pictures, or is a better camera.

I didn't mean to attack you. If you felt so, then I'm sorry. Nothing personal.

not me personally, more so what i said. but i probably did jump the gun on getting a bit defensive. my apologizies.

fmw said:
You can use the internet to read reviews from independent reviewers who know how to review products.

You can also use it to find reviews from "independent" reviewers who know how to review the right products the right way. They have biased opinions too. The trick with reading comments either from regular forum users or from "independent" reviewers is to understand that none have papal infallibility, and try to pick out the useful information.

I guess I should have said "most nikon users, most canon users". There probably is a small percentaile that are totally unbiased about which camera is the best, but most out there will tell someone to go with the camera that they use.(if it's an option) Since that is what they consider to be "the best".

I wouldn't say "most". More like the most vocal on internet forums. I think most users of either or any other brand are more concerned with creating images and recognise that one size does not fit all. Or rather I hope so. Otherwise I wonder how long before we have 'camera beefs', with the Canon L Unit releasing songs dissing NWA (Nikonians with Apochromatics)?

I wouldn't say "most". More like the most vocal on internet forums.
I wasn't thinking of just internet forums. A year and a half ago I was looking for DSLR. I talked to a lot of people (not on the internet) and I noticed that when I mentioned that I didn't know if I should get a Nikon or a Canon, that people immediatly said to get whatever they had because "it was the best". That's when I realized that I needed to do my own homework and figure out for myself what to get. And that's when I decided NOT to get a DSLR and go with something cheaper instead. :thumbdown: I wish I had gone with the DSLR ;) (although I am happy with my current camera, I still wish I had gone ahead and gotten the Canon XT when I had plenty of money)

I played around with Nikons & Canons at camera shops, and I personally prefered the Canon. It felt more natural to me.

but that's just where I get when I said "most users will say that their prefered brand of camera is better"

I wasn't thinking of just internet forums. A year and a half ago I was looking for DSLR. I talked to a lot of people (not on the internet) and I noticed that when I mentioned that I didn't know if I should get a Nikon or a Canon, that people immediatly said to get whatever they had because "it was the best".

This is luckily one of the very very few forums I have seen where someone asking if Nikon or Canon does usually not create wild fights over brands with people defending their choice and blaming "the others" of being stupid idiots.

In particular the regulars on here will avoid to push their personal choice on you. These people will tell you what you apparently already know :)

Of course everywhere you find followers of a brand-dogma, but they are rare on here. Which is good, because photography should be about the image in the end :)

Whatever feels comfortable to you, thats what I would suggest. Try using the features, such as the dial, shutter, etc.

I would recommend the Canon, although I have never used a Nikon.

Blair

Hey! Didn't mean to spark a quarrel. I actually don't mind hearing what people "personally" like better, because you hear it from both sides and with a clear reason why, it may help weed out some concerns.

I did go look today. I personally liked the Nikon d80 and d200 best. Almost there : )

Because the lenses tend to be pricey and the key to nice photographs, people tend to stick with one brand once they start collecting lenses. It would be a bummer to start over again - more investment. So people just get used to the Brand they have and thats OK. I like hearing the opinions.

Thanks again

I think it's slightly misleading to say that personal preference is the only significant factor separating Canon from Nikon. Canon's CMOS sensors have much better performance in low-light conditions than Nikon's (noise levels even at ISO 3200 on the 5D are workable), and Canon also offers full-frame cameras from the pro-am level to the pro level. This is a consideration for amateurs because they may be committing to a lens system and upgrading their camera body later.

Conversely, the Nikon D40 and D80 have made incredible strides into the marketplace for starting amateurs, offering cameras with real pro features at prices you won't get from Canon. When someone who is buying their first DSLR asks me what I would buy on a shoestring, I tell them to really try to save enough for a D80, because it offers the kinds of features that can satisfy even an ambitious amateur for some time to come.

Once you reach the level where a couple thousand dollars for a camera body seems reasonable, I'd be hard pressed not to recommend a 5D simply because of its full frame, huge buffer, 13 megapixels, and pleasing noise performance up to ISO 3200.

Of course, if you absolutely hate the way Canon organizes their buttons and their menus, perhaps that's a dealbreaker for you. Personally, having used the Canon 10D, 5D, and 1Ds as well as the Nikon D80, I think it's six of one and a half dozen of the other. You just learn where the buttons are; both systems make sense in their own way.

I hope that's remotely helpful.

Hello I am a newbie to this forum and digital SLRs - I got my feet wet by buying a Nikon D80 I just love it:D I also bought a 70-300 mm Nikkor VR to go with the 18-70 mm glass.

Most reactions

Back