Nikon's autofocus mode?

0ptics

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello

I'm using a Nikon D3100 (11 autofocus points) and had a few questions about which mode, AF-area mode, and metering I should use and when.

1) Majority of the time I use AF-S because I'm not a huge fan of AF-C, I feel that its easier using AF-S even for fast targets. When and what do you guys think of AF-C?

2) Which AF-area mode should I use? I've been shooting for about 6 months now and only been using Dynamic-area AF. When should I use Auto-area AF? With it be better for landscape and group shots?

3) What is metering? Its always been set as Matrix, should I ever use center-weighted or spot and what are they?

4) What is the point of having more than 11 autofocus points? For the high end cameras they all have a lot more, is that better?

So overall 99% of the time I'm set on AF-S and Matrix metering and using Dynamic-area mode, when or should I ever use the other ones?

Thanks!
Charles

Well, I do things differently. I won't say it's better but it's what I prefer.

1. 90% of the time I use AF-C because I want my focus to adjust with movement of the subject.

2. I never, ever, NEVER, not for any reason whatsoever EVER use dynamic area autofocus. Period. End of story. I'll tell the camera what I want the subject to be, and I'll put it right in the center of the viewfinder where I have the focus point LOCKED. I used that dynamic auto 3D super intelligent focus a couple of times and it never agreed with me on what should be the subject so I disabled it.

3. To simplify: Matrix averages the entire frame for the exposure. Center-weighted averages only the area in the center of the image. Spot doesn't average anything and measures the exposure at the dead center of the viewfinder. Yes, you should change them and learn to use them. They make an enormous difference in accurate exposures. If you have a lot of light or dark areas in the frame matrix is going to try and meter those areas as neutral gray so you will get an underexposed or overexposed image. Spot metering is very sensitive and in images such as wildlife with varied coloring in thrie coat (imagine a Zebra) if you meter a black stripe the image will be overexposed and if you meter a white stripe it will be underexposed. All three modes have their use and I do use all three of them at different times.

4. Beats me. I leave mine locked in the center so if they only had one I'd be happy.

99 percent of the time

Single point focus
Matrix Metering
AF-C

Has done well for me.....so far :lol:

Thanks SCraig for the information!

But for number 2), I use Dynamic AF because it allows me to choose 1 of the 11 points which seems more reasonable because you have more control of your focal points. But ya, so I should use Auto-Area AF (or Single Point AF) over Dynamic-AF? I thought it would be the opposite because in Auto-Area AF mode the camera chooses the points for me; I guess I don't understand what makes Dynamic so "bad"?

Also should I use Auto-Area for group shots and landscape because it allows multiple focal points to "light up"?

0ptics said:
Thanks SCraig for the information!

But for number 2), I use Dynamic AF because it allows me to choose 1 of the 11 points which seems more reasonable because you have more control of your focal points. But ya, so I should use Auto-Area AF (or Single Point AF) over Dynamic-AF? I thought it would be the opposite because in Auto-Area AF mode the camera chooses the points for me; I guess I don't understand what makes Dynamic so "bad"?

Also should I use Auto-Area for group shots and landscape because it allows multiple focal points to "light up"?

I never use auto- area. That is the camera choosing where to focus. You can get the same if not better focus for group shots/landscape by using a single focal point. Dynamic and single point let you choose what focal point to use. I believe dynamic lets you choose a focus point but will choose other points for you, if needed. You can use the Nikon software to see what focal points were used.

Single point lets you choose the focus point and that's the only one used.

Most reactions

Back