Nikor 70-200 f2.8 VR ii

OnTheFly7

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
My question is, how much of a difference will this lens make in image quality with a D800, over the 80-300mm f3.5-f5.4 lens?

I am the photographer for my fiance's events for work and this lens is fine, as most images are of stationary or slowly moving objects. That being said, I fly fish and waterfowl hunt a lot and always have the camera with me. I would really like to get some good images of hunts. Also, I am REALLY getting into shooting rodeos (team roping, calf roping, steer wrestling and mounted shooting). In fact, today I shot a team roping event and have quite a few images that have great potential, they are just not as sharp as I would like (I have not touched them yet).

The angles are good, the timing is good and I have captured most of what I wanted, but again the images are lacking that sharpness (pre post-production). Some times I shoot in a covered or indoor arena, however today it was in a cloudless sky, with light colored dirt and light brown and tan colored mountains in the background. I imagine the lens will also speed up focusing as well.

I am trying to decide if I want to pick up this lens or get a D300S (as the D800 is always borrowed from her work). What are your thoughts?

The 70-200 is in another league completely. On any body. You'll never Mount that other lens.

D800 vs. D300... I'd you don't use the capacity of the d800 or fully understand the differences. ... Buy the D300 and be happier. I have both - actually have the D300 listed for sale locally.

Last edited:
That is Nikons best Zoom lens going..The sharpness would be superior to the above lens mentioned..

You'd be hard-pressed to find a better chunk of glass than the 70-200/2.8II.

When I got mine, I went back to the store I bought it from a week later. They asked me what I thought about it. I told 'em I would be returning it.

Why? Because when I view the images on my monitor, my retinas scream like little girls, run up my optic nerves and cower behind my sinuses for an hour.

Yes, this lens will make your eyes bleed.

Thanks folks!

Looks like I'll buy the lens, use the borrowed body and wait for Nikon to introduce a new body that is capable of 7-8fps without spending $6-$7k!

I may rent the lens for my next rodeo. The thing I do not like is the local shop hits your cc for a grand up front and returns it 5 days after you return the lens. I don't like that!

try borrowed lenses ....good outfit

No one I know has the lens. In fact, the one or two others that I know that are into it, they all shoot that dreaded "C" company!

He means, check out the online company named Borrowed Lenses. You can rent the lens from them and they will ship it to your home.

Rent professional cameras or camera lenses for Canon, Nikon, Sony, Olympus, Leica and Pentax

As for the D800 vs D300S, It all depends on your needs and it sounds like the D300/D300s would be a better fit since you're shooting sports. I've got a D300 and a 70-200mm 2.8 VR II and it's a quick combination for sure.

Last edited:

No one I know has the lens. In fact, the one or two others that I know that are into it, they all shoot that dreaded "C" company!

Tell ya what. It' colder than a witches ti.............. um,.............. well, you know.......... here right now. You pay my airfare, car rental, hotel, meals and per diem, I'll come to Phoenix for a few days and I'll let you borrow mine.

the 70-200mm is exceptional for a zoom. the 300mm 2.8 is better, and so is the 200mm f2. but they are also heavier, more expensive, and cannot zoom. and in reality the 70-200 is not much worse, and is still a huge step above pretty much everything other then the other two I said.

everytime I look at the photo of me holding my 300mm 2.8 I feel think wow, that is just a perfect lens. but then I think of selling my 70-200 to fund it. and then you miss the zoom range.

Tell ya what. It' colder than a witches ti.............. um,.............. well, you know.......... here right now. You pay my airfare, car rental, hotel, meals and per diem, I'll come to Phoenix for a few days and I'll let you borrow mine.

Hmmmmm.....If you have a couple of hundred acres that I can come bow hunt and blast some Geese, we may have to talk!

the 70-200mm is exceptional for a zoom. the 300mm 2.8 is better, and so is the 200mm f2. but they are also heavier, more expensive, and cannot zoom. and in reality the 70-200 is not much worse, and is still a huge step above pretty much everything other then the other two I said.

everytime I look at the photo of me holding my 300mm 2.8 I feel think wow, that is just a perfect lens. but then I think of selling my 70-200 to fund it. and then you miss the zoom range.

The subjects utilize the entire arena and you never know when the shot will come. I need the zoom and 300mm is about max. I would also think of the 400 f2.8 zoom down the line!

Hmmmmm.....If you have a couple of hundred acres that I can come bow hunt and blast some Geese, we may have to talk!

I don't. But I fancy I know someone who does.

Has anyone actually used or have first hand experience with borrowed lenses?

Are they easy to work with, good honest people or is it close to a scam?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back