NJ Bear hunt, VERY controversial

Rapala46

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
rapala46.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here we go everyone. I am a NJ resident, and I am also an avid hunter, and fisherman. So, if anyone has heard about the recent bear hunt in NJ, what are your thoughts? This is the second one if 35 years (i think) and it is raising voices everywhere. As you could probably guess, I am on the hunters side. Why would NJFGW have a bear hunt, if it were to hurt anything.

What really really gets me, are these....erhm...(i'll keep it civil), these "animal right's activists" that actually follow hunters into the woods, wearing BRIGHT orange T-shirts reading "Wounded Bear Rescue Squad". They also carried in first aid kits, saying that smaller hunters could be using smaller caliber firearms, therefore making it a bigger chance to wound bears. Well, if they had done their research they would know that everyone is using the SAME caliber shotguns. 20 guage and 12 guage. erg. They also said that if they were to find a bear, an animal contorl officer would be called in so that the bear could be healed, and rereleased.

sorry for the rant, what are your opinions?

here's some lniks for research if anyone is interested:

http://www.dailyrecord.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051207/NEWS01/512070322/1005

and the other side

http://www.hsus.org/press_and_publi...calls_for_immediate_halt_to_nj_bear_hunt.html

State officials point to an overpopulation of bears infringing upon residential areas.
If they can kill that many bears then there is an overpopulation of them. I don't think that people should "let them be" they become a hazard and they will run out of food eventually.(then become aggressive towards the people)

Or they will become malnourished and die anyways putting the bear to waste.

Those are my views on it... hunting isn't a bad thing, it's actually a good thing for the environment for the population to be managed "properly" That way the bears that are left will have more food and if they were managed correctly they will be stronger and have a better population the following year. :thumbup:

When the populations get like they are something has to be done. We have deer hunts down here in state parks - unfortunately the hunters keep going after trophys and its not thinning the herds too well. I hope it works better with the bears in NJ. The coyotes are already moving in to subdivisions in search of the deer here. There the bears are the predators so it is really important to deal with the problem before someone gets hurt.

LittleMan said:
it's actually a good thing for the environment for the population to be managed "properly" That way the bears that are left will have more food and if they were managed correctly they will be stronger and have a better population the following year. :thumbup:
now swap bears with humans! ;)

It's pretty similar in the UK with foxhunting.

I live in Bromley, which is a London suburb (and a majorly popular area with foxes!) and everyone in the local area has a metropolitan attitude to hunting with dogs - it's unnecessarily cruel. However I also drink in country pubs where the attitude is exactly the opposite - foxes are vermin which damage their livelihood and hunting is an age-old tradition to be upheld as it benefits the community etc.

I'm pretty anti killing things for the sake of it, but population control can be vital as man damages local eco systems encouraging animals like foxes to breed (cos they eat our rubbish).

That said, running around the woods helping the bears when there's a posse out hunting them strikes me as a little pointless. I'd be more inclined to lobby govenment to ban unnecessary hunting rather than risk getting shot (or eaten by a bear) to make a point.

Ho hum, let's see where this one goes!! :popcorn:

First off, hunter here.

I didn't get what type of hunting was being allowed. One of the things in Michigan I disagree with is the hunting of bear with dogs. I don't see how shooting a treed bear is very sporting. But if there is evidence that the nuisance reports have increased along with the bear population, it is just a matter of time till the attacks on pets and kids start coming in. So a short controlled hunt is justified. And yes, many of the reasons are human related, but that is not going to change anytime soon.

I want to see the end result of an " activist " trying to bandage up a wounded bear.

Well I may as state my opinion, even though im new here, no one knows who I am, and I dont know how old this thread is...

My views do vary from place to place. things are much more different in montana than in NJ. i'm against hunting in MT. I see no reason. The predatory-prey has been working great longer than we've been here. of course we've disrupted it by killing the predators, allowing the prey populations to explode. So bears and other predators like MT lions are at the top of list of things not to hunt.

I believe reintroducing the extirpated natural predatorial species is key. that'd restore the whole natural selection aspect. also many of the predators are endangered, mainly from the ignorance of people. widespread extermination of wolves, mt lions and grizzly because they competed with humans for animals.

Hunting disrupts natural evolution through survival of the fittest. people are eliminating them superior traits by killing off the biggest and best of the animals by trophy hunting.

So were just talking about little black bears right? bears dont repopulate quite like deer do.

Ive grown up with bears. you just have to know how to deal with them. they learn quickly. they mostly become problems when bear cub's mothers are shot.

and on a more personal opinion, I just cant see how you could shoot one.
dvc009378zy.jpg

dvc009443ll.jpg

Awwwwwww.

pretty ironic im posting crappy pics on a photo forum, but im going to get a better cam sooner or later.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back