No Dumpster Diving!

imakefights

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
trash.jpg

I like this photo. But there's something that's not quite... something. I bet that's not the most useful critique ever posted here.

I've taken the rare step of looking at this shot through Photoshop. I can see that there's no colour cast to the image, but the skin tones look a little red. (Yes, I'm a dolt.)

The sign is seriously blown out; even though it's supposed to be white it's a little hard on the eyes. This may be an electronic issue that doesn't translate to a print (I'm using an LCD monitor) so you may, or may not, tone it down based on your intended output.

And we really, really need to buy this gentleman a new watch.

I've tried some subtle modifications in photoshop, desaturating the reds 10% in the skin tones, and reducing the brightness of the sign by 5%. I can post the changes if you like, but the results are hard to see without a direct before/after comparison.

Maybe I'll have to come back to this; I'm still not sure what it is that I'm trying to pin down.

I think time of day is your curse on this one. From the harsh bright of the sign to the shadow covering the eyes, you really need to go back at a different time and reshoot in better light. (dawn / dusk ideally)

I like matthew's edit over the original, but it still doesn't save the shot for me.

Next his frown looks extremely forced. Since he was probably wanting to smile and instead forced out a frown for the photo. What I might suggest would be having him standing on a small stool and tiptoeing over the ledge of the dumpster. With you (photog) close to the ground looking up at the sign and him. Basically peering over at all the treasures so close but so far away.

That's what I think of when I look at this shot. Just my opinion.

matthew robertson said:
And we really, really need to buy this gentleman a new watch.

I stand by my earlier opinion. I personally like Swatch; some very decent watches for not that much money. If one winds up in the dumpster, it won't break anyone's heart.

I agree with Jadin. The image is too extreme, and needs to mellow. I also had a look at this image in B&W; it works but the tonal range of the shirt is too close to the dumpster to make the person stand out. Maybe a colour shift of the shirt would allow some play in the B&W conversion...

Hello everyone out there in dumpster land! My name is Dan and I am a “professional” model. It is I, yes I,
who did this amateurish pose in front of this
“No Digging in Dumpsters” sign.

Actually, I did receive remuneration for this pic. Before the shoot, I was treated to three hot dogs at Coney
Island in downtown
Oklahoma City. The place has been there forever. And while you’re there, challenge
the owner, “Bill,” to a game of chess on one of the chess boards he’s got set up in the back. Watch out though.
Bill is a Grand Master. Also, there’s no smoking so leave your cigarettes in the car. As for the picture, I guess
you get what you pay for. I hope this does not violate forum rules.

Yes, that IS a forced frown on my face. First, I did not want to pose in front of that sign anyway. It was such
a good opportunity though. So what you get in my facial expression is a cross between me barking commands
at my limo driver, me trying to put on a big frown and almost crying (hence the tightness around the eyes),
trying not to laugh, and, of course, the sun in my eyes…sort of. We actually took TWO pictures. This is the second
one with the bill of my hat adjusted down just a little to compensate for the angle of the sun.

There is also this question about the coloration of my skin. This is the real color of my skin. There is no trick
photography or photo touch up here. Yes, there is some redness in my complexion. Perhaps this is due to cooties.
I don’t know. I am not a doctor.

Then there’s this thing about my watch. This is my favorite watch. It is especially suited to things like digging
in dumpsters. This model of watch is available for $2 plus tax at Dollar General stores everywhere. Let me tell
you about it.

This watch has many features that I find desirable. A double canvass strap insures it will stay put on your arm.
This is composed of an inner band that wraps around your arm and overlaps with Velcro. The outer band doubles
back through the buckle and tightens to personal satisfaction with another piece of Velcro. Hence, there is no need
to occupy one’s time and attention fiddling with a small metal tine and trying to fit this into a hole in a piece
of leather that one can hardly see.

There are two buttons on the right labeled ADV and SET that allow the user to adjust the time and date. If one
presses the ADV button once after setting the time and date, the digital readout will alternate switching every
three seconds back and forth between the date and the time. One drawback here is that no matter what one is
looking at the watch for, whether it is the date or the time, the watch almost always displays the other one. And,
if it does display the one you want when you are looking at it, it will always be the date. Its power is only exceeded
by its mystery.

One of the best features of this watch is its durability. On its face, and just to the left of the digital readout in the
blow-up, is a big blue “bumper” made out of some kind of plastic with a polyurethane content that makes it soft to
absorb bumps and blows. This is attached to the
watch chassis by a thin piece of tie wire. There were originally
two of these. The one on the other side of the digital readout gave up the ghost long, long ago in a dumpster far,
far away.

The watch is battery operated. Looking on the underside, I do not see any way to change the battery other than
by removing the metal bezel. However, at two dollars a pop, I will just throw it away when the battery runs down
and buy another one.

As for doing a re-shoot with better lighting and a more suitable pose, this is unlikely. This picture is of me standing
in front of a dumpster in
Lexington, Oklahoma which is about an hour drive south of the hot dog joint. We actually
went there to take pictures of a mental institute, that is now a tri-plex, and were on our way out when we spotted
this sign. However, in the interest of better photography, I may pose for a better shot of my
watch. If we do this, I
will take special care to make sure my suspenders are adjusted evenly this time.

Matthew Robertson made a joke about the guy needing a new watch....So the guy (Dan) signed up and wanted to tell everyone about his watch and I thought we needed a better picture of it. :)

We may sell it on ebay... Wanna buy it? :D

This is a critique forum! Please only post pictures here that are open for SERIOUS critique and not jokes!

Please read the rules and guidleines before posting in this section.

Thank you.

Most reactions

Back