NO EDITING

.RAW straight out of the camera but converted to JPG via ViewNX 2, untouched unedited.
$nd42915.jpg
28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G
55mm - ISO 3200
4s - f/20
0EV Auto 1,0,0

$nik1538.jpg
14-24mm f/2.8
18mm - ISO 2500
1/320s - f2.8
0EV Auto 1,0,0

^^ nope. Polaroids were processed according to the manufacturer's specification. They are no less processed than a negative is when processed according to Kodak or Fuji's specification.

In fact, there isn't anything special about polaroid in this regard, other than how the development process is delivered: in layers on the film or in cartons pumped into machines.
OK - like a low-tech, analog in-camera JPEG. ;)

I don't think there is anything "low tech" about Polaroid. It really is a feat of chemical and mechanical engineering. Given what is required, it's pretty remarkable technology.

Jesus. Anything that involves the word "editing" on this forum devolves into a pedantic semantics debate about the word "editing" and what constitutes editing and when.

I think it's pretty clear that the OP used the word "editing" to mean any manual adjustments made to the photograph after the process where the electronics in the camera or PC have decoded the digital data taken from the sensor and created an image that is decipherable by the human eye as a reproduction of the scene that was seen through the viewfinder at the time the shutter was pressed.

Making it to the end of these threads is getting increasingly exhausting.

I get the feeling the anti-editing crowd have never worked in a darkroom.

I think the reason why this is such a hot topic goes way back to New Modernism verses Pictorialism.

Photographers love to keep dead horses around just in case they need a good beating. But that debate is starting to fester, and many generations of flies and maggots have since passed.

You want to see an actual, real unprocessed image - SOOC, nothing done to it.
Well here's the first few lines (with a bunch of nulls removed )

sooc2.jpg

sooc2.jpg

I like it, it's minimal while being busy. Seemingly sporadic but there's more to it than that, I just can't put my finger on it. I'm not a big fan of the stuff at the very top left, as it's so common but things mix up nicely shortly after that, plus if you cropped that out your single faint blue line wouldn't be anywhere near following the vertical use of the rule of thirds which I'm certain was your intent, representing the truth, that there is in fact a glass ceiling to us all and it's down remarkably low. Such vision. Such meaning. I'd like to buy a print.

I like it, it's minimal while being busy. Seemingly sporadic but there's more to it than that, I just can't put my finger on it. I'm not a big fan of the stuff at the very top left, as it's so common but things mix up nicely shortly after that, plus if you cropped that out your single faint blue line wouldn't be anywhere near following the vertical use of the rule of thirds which I'm certain was your intent, representing the truth, that there is in fact a glass ceiling to us all and it's down remarkably low. Such vision. Such meaning. I'd like to buy a print.

I appreciate your c/c.
It is as insightful as fully half the comments I see here (;)) and is the best c/c I've ever gotten on a post of mine.

I feel there is a difference between Processing to produce a picture and the editing involved to turn that picture into what the photographer wants as the end result. And although many of us see the processing needed to produce that initial picture is classed as processing I feel the original post was looking for the gap between minimum production to create a picture an that final stage or stages many feel are needed to move an image to it's final form or concept.
Yes many people use SOOC images here and yes many are good pictures...even great pictures. And Others will take those pictures and still feel they need to EDIT CROP or in some way CHANGE that image...

Should we do that...Who knows who cares...I enjoy that manipulation to make the image more than was produced SOOC. Should we as photographers need those final edits...?? WHY NOT...??? It is not about taking The perfect picture....I would love to do that...but I know I would still run it though some sort of tool so that I could look to see if there were anything I could do to make it look or feel better...

SOOC is cool for some shots and hours of tinkering is FUN too...IF SOOC was all we had then fair enough...but it is not and we have options....many of us like to use them....And by many it is seen to be essential to produce that perfect image...I have looked through the SOOC images produced and many here have a natural talent for producing what many can only wish to produce....

Yes how far do you go with an image..?? A simple CROP..?? zooming in on the subject matter or re-framing an image....Is a brightness or contrast adjustment allowed to make the image look corrrect?? Who knows... There cannot be a right or wrong...there most only be choice...those who choose to edit to a small degree make that choice and may be happy with the end result...others may edit so much that the final picture does not even resemble the SOOC image they started with....But is it wrong?? Well no obviously not....otherwise we would be constrained by other peoples expectation and that would mean we were not allowed to show our own interpritaion of what we saw or felt at the time or during post processing.

The key is choice.

If you want to look at SOOC then fine. I am sure if there is enough demand then a SOOC section could be asked for.

I personally want to see both SOOC and the final image simply because I am often inspired by the choices others have made to get to that end result....but not all people like to share the SOOC image...and that is their choice.

SUNR15E

ps sorry about the length of that I get carried away when I am tired.

I could go through the 250,000 slides and negs that I have and post them. They didn`t need any work after I shot them.

With three stops of latitude, there isn't much to work with in the first place.

$10456006_563182217140_9156787109010727008_n.jpg
how about a sample of what a photo looked before retouching?

Most reactions

Back