No More Website...

Steve5D

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
After four years of having not a single dime of revenue generated by my website, I have allowed it to go buh-bye.

I'm conflicted about this, though. The site has, literally, not generated a single cent in revenue. I've never sold a print through it, and I've never been hired as a result of what people have seen there. It just kind of sat there, year after year (at $149.00 per), so I've let it go.

All of my money has been generated two ways: People either purchase directly off my Fine Art America site, or they see photos I post elsewhere (Flickr, Facebook) and inquire about purchasing them. The other way is word-of-mouth when someone needs to hire a photographer.

The way I see it is that the website was little more than a self-indulgent ego stroke, so I could hand someone a business card and say "Oh, and that's my website".

So, I let it lapse.

On the one hand, I think potential clients like to know that I've got a website, even if it's not responsible for them finding me or buying something from me. On the other hand, though, I feel like I'm simply pissing money away by not using it wisely.

Thoughts?

A free site using Weebly or Wix can at least give you a web presence.

I know the free version of Weebly will have branding at the bottom of the page. I think Wix is the same. Just insert a lot of spacing after your last line of type...

and few will even notice what's at the bottom.

Wordpress is free and they have photo-friendly themes. They're mostly known for blog hosting, but you can set up a more static, informative website, I think. It's free but if you want it to look more profession, it costs some money but not very much. For example, the domain that includes xxx.wordpress.com is free, and if you want to drop the 'wordpress' then you can buy the domain name from them or Godaddy for something like $15 a year. "Premium" themes aren't free but I think it's just a one shot deal to buy one, not per year. They're most around $60 depending on the theme.

15 Beautiful Photography Websites Powered by WordPress - 121Clicks.com

Edited: There's a wordpress.com and a wordpress.org. I think it's the .org site that hosts the more professional website, and the .com that is more for blogging. It confused me at first - they're connected somehow, but I'm not sure how.

Hi Steve,

I'm not clear on whether or not you "built" the site ? Bear with me if I'm preaching to the choir :)

I believe it is almost expected that one have a web presence today to be perceived as a professional. Doesn't cost anything to add your web site address to your business card.

Neither my Woodworking site or my Product Photo site have "directly" generated sales BUT they work quite well as a remote portfolio.

That function combined with a web presence was enough for me to take the time to build my own sites instead of vegging on the couch at the end of the day....

I met a potential client at a social event and we got talking. I showed him my website on our hosts computer and he purchased a piece from that viewing.

When I am approached by a new client for product work I direct them to my site to view samples of my work.

As is almost always the case, they heard of me first by word of mouth.

Having said that, I am all done paying to have a site hosted. iPage was ~$4/month including a dot com address but does nothing I can't do with Weebly for free.

And if you don't like your address to be xxxxx.weebly.com you can purchase a domain name from them.

The site creator tool is relatively easy to use if you have some basic computer skills :)

Adding or changing content is no more difficult than uploading an image to PhotoBucket, etc.

Click on "Publish" and it's live.

Cheers, Don

I can't think of a modern professional company that doesn't have a website - even most small highstreet shops have a website or at the very least listings on various websites.

I'd say get yourself a free site put together - wordpress - flickr something that lets you have an online portfolio and a list of basic information (who you are, where you are, your work, rates etc..). Flickr isn't that ideal now that htey did away with a profile page (WHY! stupid updates) so I'd say go for a a free wordpress site. You can throw something that looks good together in a day or two.

You won't process sales through the site (which likely was where your costs were going with the first one) but you can at least have it as a contact and information point. It's also something you can have the address put onto a business card to hand out at events etc...

Thoughts?

I would have thought someone with the marketing knowledge you claim to possess would know the answer to such a quandary.

Well, aside from the obvious, and poorly executed, attempted back-handed slap, my marketing background is what's making me question whether or not this is the right move.

I still have a web presence, and it's that web presence, and not my website, which has generated revenue. One question is the effective use of my money. Is it worth it to put it into something which provides zero return? Yes, people like to see a ".com". But the fact of the matter is that not a single print sale has been realized because of my website, and not a single job or lead has been generated.

I won't tax you with critical thinking, though. I'll pay attention to the smarter people who reply...

I can't think of a modern professional company that doesn't have a website - even most small highstreet shops have a website or at the very least listings on various websites.

I'd say get yourself a free site put together - wordpress - flickr something that lets you have an online portfolio and a list of basic information (who you are, where you are, your work, rates etc..). Flickr isn't that ideal now that htey did away with a profile page (WHY! stupid updates) so I'd say go for a a free wordpress site. You can throw something that looks good together in a day or two.

You won't process sales through the site (which likely was where your costs were going with the first one) but you can at least have it as a contact and information point. It's also something you can have the address put onto a business card to hand out at events etc...

As I said, I still have a web presence. I'm on Fine Art America, and that's been the source of a semi-regular stream of sales. I'm also on Blogger and Flickr, and I've had a few sales generated through those, as well as Facebook. I just don't think I'd want to rely on those, though.

I've got friends who use Wordpress, though, and seem happy with it...

I don't think I could justify maintaining multiple web sites if one of them was not making any money.
I suppose you could do it just because you WANT to keep it, but since you already mentioned having other websites that are actually generating revenue, i dont see much point in paying for one that isn't.

was there something about your wix page that was different from the rest? a different portfolio or setup that showed your work differently that might make it worth keeping? were all your pages linked, and is there any chance that your wix page drove people to your fine arts page and to buying prints? if so, the wix page might be earning its keep. if not, I think i would ditch it since your really not losing a "web presence".

As a part web designer I strongly suggest you have a site.

Having a website is one thing. Having the correct "metadata" so that the website is indexed via webbots is another.

One of my hobbies is musical instruments, clarinets to be more specific. I have one of the largest historical clarinet websites on the internet. The hits it gets are amazing and a marketing story.. for what little it is. I've tracked the hits, etc. It has generated revenue for me which is mostly used to support the website and purchase other supplies for the art of musical instrument repair. Though I repaired few instruments by comparison, just enough to keep the ball rolling. The key of it all was not the website itself, but the metadata which allows the webbots to read and search the content.

Luckily I picked that trick up from a friend that has been website programming about 10 years ago.

But nowadays, I think just having a Facebook page would be enough. (Plus your other sites)

My website is going through a transition. I believe I'm going to start having google ads on it. It will be the only financial support to keep the website going and expanding. It currently is about 10 GB is total space and needs more, which takes me beyond my 10GB storage contract from well over 10 years ago and is a big jump financially, which I do not want to bear from my pockets.

It's hard to "expand" in multiple locations. If that website isn't doing anything then can it for a whilte and focus on the other ones. Facebook is the defacto standard nowadays for traffic, so I would focus on that one plus the other venues that you have. No sense in wasting your time if you know a website isn't drawing any traffic/revenue.

So I totally understand your situation. And truthfully, pushing Facebook traffic would be a good first step with links to your other sites. Have a link on your .com saying you've moved to Facebook from your website for a few months. And you can always keep the Domain Name for a few years as it is fairly cheap, just in case.

Also keep your website just in case you want to revive it.

Last edited:
Having a website is one thing. Having the correct "metadata" so that the website is indexed via webbots is another.

eh not so much. Maybe 10 years ago. It's all about refreshing content and social network marketing.

10gb?!?!?!?!?? What the hell do you have on your site? I hope you aren't saving all that via your host, if so you are getting screwed big time.

PM me your site.

one website is all you need. Cargo Collective. Build your own website. just with cargo in the link.

If you have saved all your html you can definitely just transfer the same stuff over, you'll need to email cargo themselves with examples of your work, as they only select set individuals they believe have talent :) good luck try it out!

Most reactions

Back