Watch the Birdy!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.johnsphotography.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I'm booked to shoot a wedding at the end of the month. Weddings aren't really my thing, but they do bring in a few dollars, so every now and then, I'll sacrifice my principles...:er: Anyway, after meeting with the couple and getting the addresses of the venues for the ceremony and the reception I went to scout them out. The church appeared straight-forward, a little dimmer than I'd like, but nothing I can't work with. After my initial recce, I went back to the church office to ask them if they had any specific protocols in this church concerning photography. Of course the 'no flash' was a given, but when they said ABSOLUTELY NO photographs during the actual ceremony, I was blown away (And my clients were none to happy when I called them with the news either). I can shoot the procession coming up the aisle, but nothing while they're at the alter.

As I said, I don't do many weddings, and most of the ones I do are casual, out-door or non-church affairs. So, my question to the more experienced wedding photogs here is: Is this common?

I've heard of situations like this. In one case in particular they were allowed to "re-create" the moment after the ceremony for purposes of photographs.

Peace,

Roey.

I haven't done very many in a church. But the few that I have done, I have been able to take photos of the ceremony. That is odd to me.

I would not have asked the priest in the first place. If necessary I would switch to video for the ceremony, use a silent pocket camera, or a quiet compact with good size zoom and a tilt screen.

skieur

What kind of church is this? I often get a big list of "Don'ts" from the church organizer, but I find that when you remind them that they are working for their client, the couple getting married, they often back off and go with the couples wishes. Church is great and all, but most are religous businesses and so they respond to things the same way that anyone who caters to any kind of customer would. The bottom line is that the couple has to be made happy or they will go elsewhere to get married.

I have had that happen at a few weddings. We just redo the poses after. I just make sure the bride and groom know this and allow time for it. Sometimes if it's ok with the bride and groom we do it ahead of time.
I do suggest you don't try to shoot any on the sly because if found out you will not be allowed to shoot at that church again.

I would not have asked the priest in the first place. If necessary I would switch to video for the ceremony, use a silent pocket camera, or a quiet compact with good size zoom and a tilt screen.

skieur
The compact isn't really an option; I'm going to be shooting from the back of the [very dimly lit] church, as for not asking; would you really want to be cause of a major embarrassment to the client?

What kind of church is this? I often get a big list of "Don'ts" from the church organizer, but I find that when you remind them that they are working for their client, the couple getting married, they often back off and go with the couples wishes. Church is great and all, but most are religous businesses and so they respond to things the same way that anyone who caters to any kind of customer would. The bottom line is that the couple has to be made happy or they will go elsewhere to get married.

It's an Anglican church, and the clients did contact the church, and got the same answer.

I wouldn't say it's common but it's not unheard of.

Think of it as a positive. Instead of trying to get great shots during the ceremony while trying not to be a distraction...you can just relax and plan out the shots you want to recreate afterward.

Nothing you can do about it, the church sets the rules and the couple picks the church.

I wouldn't say it's common but it's not unheard of.

Think of it as a positive. Instead of trying to get great shots during the ceremony while trying not to be a distraction...you can just relax and plan out the shots you want to recreate afterward.

Nothing you can do about it, the church sets the rules and the couple picks the church.

For sure - don't misunderstand, I'm not complaining, just a little surprised.

Over here RC priests nearly always allow you to work, with flash if needed, Church of England and Scottish Ministers allow nothing till after the ceremony by the official tog, yet the congregation usually just blasts away with P&S's.

More recently registrars conducting civil ceremonies have also forbidden photography, quoting the data protection act, on cert signing, its a joke. H

...they said ABSOLUTELY NO photographs during the actual ceremony... Is this common?

No, it's not really common. I've encountered a community like this only once. I was unaware of this until the day of the wedding, when the family advised me they were able to get permission for me to work after assuring the elders that I fully appreciated that the cermony was a religous event and would conduct myself as such. I was a bit flattered, but still a bit fearful too.

Needless to say, I pretty much "planted" myself. I don't think anyone knew I was there or what I was doing.

I'm mostly "self-policed" in this matter. More often, a church allows much more than I'm willing to do.

– Pete

I'm with Mike. Relax, plan out your shots and set them up afterwards. I usually like to re-do the first kiss and ring exchange anyway. I like to light all of that stuff with off camera flash, so this type of situation works out best for me...

Most reactions

Back