No sound when shooting video!

Rumer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
HELP! I bought a Rebel T3 just before moving abroad (and thus I am no where near the store where I bought it) and as I started to teach myself today how to use the video feature, I did some video tests and there is no sound! I DO have sound recording turned ON under menu. I don't know what else do do. Perhaps there another setting I'm not aware of. I sure hope I did not get a faulty camera as I will not be back in the U.S. for a year! HELP!

Oh Gosh! 38 views and no replies. No one can make any suggestions? :-(

Where are you viewing the playback, camera or computer?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

on the camera

yeah, I guess I might need to. do they respond by email, do you know? I'm on the other side of the earth...

I'm guessing that either the speaker on the T3 is so faint you can't hear it (I wear two hearing aids, but still miss a lot). Perhaps the speaker in the camera doesn't function during playback. I don't know.

Try playing it back on a TV or your computer.

I checked the online T3 user manual Canon U.S.A. : Support & Drivers : EOS Rebel T3 18-55mm IS II Kit brown and after reading the movie recording section, I'm led to believe that as long as the record sound menu option is set to on, you should be good to go. Also consider that between camera-generated noise and a subject being too far away for adequate sound recording, you might end up with what seems to be silence.

Lastly, the online manual has several cautions regarding movie-making on page 151, in particular is that even if plugged into a TV during recording, sound will not come out of the TV.

I'd try playing it on a computer before freaking out. Did you see any levels when you were recording?

OK, so the sound IS there when I play it back on computer. It does seem odd though that that I cannot play it back with sound on the camera. Is that normal? Seems odd that Canon would have designed it that way. Some people might find it useful to play back on camera while shooting video, to check how the process is going.
I have spoken loud and soft and I am speaking very close to the camera.

Oh, well, someone on another forum told me the answer! There's a dial that I did not know about. It needed to be turned up during playback. The manual in fact says something about this but I doesn't point to it in a diagram and I thought it was the little dail that has a + and - sign and not the dial that's further out on the camera.

A happy ending for all!

When I am shooting video I have the audio levels displayed on the screen. I don't know how to do that on your particular camera but it's a good idea.

Most reactions

Back