noise?

Judge Sharpe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just got a roll of 120 film , prints and a cd back from Wolf (Ritz). The prints are clear and really good. I had the cd burned at the same time so that I could post some of the images here. The images on the cd have so much noise that i would not put them on here from the cd and am left with scaning the prints. Is this normal? I had some film processed previously and only had a cd burned, no prints and they were so full of noise that I almost threw them away thinking the film was bad. I guess I will have them printed and see what I have. I have some great ( In my humble opinion) lights over water at night images I want to post when I get back to the office with a scanner, but nt off the cd.
Inquiring minds want to know!
Judge Sharpe

What kind of scanner does wolf use? I think that the quality generally suffers unless you have them drum scanned, which is expensive. There basic scan could just be a cheap flatbed with a film adapter, in that case you might be better off doing it yourself.

Sounds to me like there's a problem with their scanning system; even a flatbed scanner should produce better results than that!

Even flatbed scanning is noise free unless you push the exposure. Was the roll exposed correctly?

Even flatbed scanning is noise free unless you push the exposure. Was the roll exposed correctly?

Very true, what people consider noise is very subjective. I have gotten very reasonable results scanning old photos,negatives, and even very small contact prints from the 1940's, with a cheap and fairly old flatbed. Could we see some examples? It would be helpful in solving the problem.

Plus pushing the exposure would be better in developing, with many films, than after the fact in the digital realm.

I will post some examples when I get tot he office and can scan in my prints. It looks like what I would have called heavy grainback int he old days, but since this is 120, unenlarged and witht he prints clean I do not know what it is- just sloppy work by Ritz.
Thanks for the replys
Judge Ssharpe

I will post some examples when I get tot he office and can scan in my prints. It looks like what I would have called heavy grainback int he old days, but since this is 120, unenlarged and witht he prints clean I do not know what it is- just sloppy work by Ritz.
Thanks for the replys
Judge Ssharpe

sad but true, sloppy work is always an option

Here are the images scanned by Aolf (Ritz) As you can see the noise makes them look hazey. the actual prints are crystal clear.

120caribpics00002.jpg

120caribpics00001.jpg

120caribpics00000.jpg

120caribpics00004.jpg

120caribpics00006.jpg

Thanks again for the help
Judge Sharpe

Just looks like shi..y scanning to me. Notice that they didn't even clean the film before the scan.

Someone hit the "auto" button and walked away.

Too bad. I'd take it back.

Just looks like shi..y scanning to me. Notice that they didn't even clean the film before the scan.

Yeah the fire and forget mentality. I agree with Sandspur, take it back and, get then to do it right. Looking at the quality you would have been better scanning them yourself.

Bad scanning technique aside what do yu think of the pictures. The Orange Beach area of LA (Lower Alabama) offers a multitude of photographic oppertunities, good sea food, and a lot of oppertunities to get good and sunburned.
Judge Sharpe

Nice shots. i always enjoyed using medium format, although I'm exclusively digital these days.

When I saw you were from Birmingham I wondered if these had been taken around my neck of the woods. And they were! I live in Pensacola.

Right now, though, I'm getting sunburned in Hawaii! Will be home around mid-September ... unless a hurricane forces me back to pick up the pieces or something.

Sure do miss Gulf coast seafood though. Not that it's bad here ... it's just different!

YEP! I think I would casually mention "alerting the entire community" several times calmly while I was asking them to redo the scans too. :devil:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back