Noisey lens ???

leelyons01

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Yay a quickly but when filming with my canon 18-55mm or the 55- 200mm I can hear a district crunchy Grindy sizzling sound from inside the lenses but not with other lenses. Any thots. I'm a total beginer btw

When does it make the noise? When it's focusing or when you're zooming in and out?

It could just be a tiny bit of grit getting crunched as it turns.

Hmmm it's constant. If its focused and settled the nose remains present and constant :(

I'd guess that you're hearing the IS (image stabilization). When you activate the AF, it also activates the IS inside the lens.

Try turning the IS switch to off, and see if the sounds disappears. With most/all lenses that have IS, you can hear it start and usually you can hear it stop as well (when shooting stills...it may stay active while shooting video).

Does canon make a 55-200mm IS lens?

IS would be my guess as well for a constant sound like that when the shutter is half pressed. It might be a sign that you need to expand your audio recording setup. If its picking up the IS sound of the lens chances are it might also pick up all those sounds of you changing buttons on the camera or just holding it.

Ahh haa. The i.s. theory sounds pretty likely,
Can't wait to investigate that Tomorow and report back thanx guys :)

Sorry for the late reply.
You guys seem to have been spot on with your is theory
Thanx
:)

leelyons01 said:
Sorry for the late reply.
You guys seem to have been spot on with your is theory
Thanx
:)

Not the lens it's the camera mic, on a 5dmkii you constantly pick up noise manually or not, you never should use the sound from a video shoot anyway, connect a decent mic if your goo ng to do interviews etc .

I got away with many recordings when I did not have to meddle with the lens

My experience with almost all lens

Good luck

Most reactions

New Topics

Back