Non dig. lenses on Dig camera... questions/help?

sunbeam

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have a pentax k100d super right now, and just found some lenses for sale for a great price. They are not digital, but I know that Pentax is designed to fit ANY pentax lenses from waaay back. Question is, how do non dig. lenses work on a digital camera? And what do they convert to in mm. on digital? Anything else I should know or worry about?? Here's the lenses they have for sale...
THANK YOU!

Pentax ME Super camera and accessories.
- Pentax 40-80mm lens
- Pentax 80-200mm telephoto lens
- Pentax 50mm lens
- 2X Teleconverter
- 200S flash

they will work, but, they wont auto focus... you will have to do that yourself..

Your Pentax has a crop factor of 1.5x. So you would multiply the lenses setting by 1.5 to get the 35mm equavilant coverage using the Pentax digital body. So the 40-80 would become a 60 to 120mm in view coverage. The 80-200 would have a viewing angle of coverage of 120-300mm. And the 50mm would have a 75mm angle of view as compared to them on a full frame 35mm camera.

I am not sure how Pentax is. You may or may not get metering. You will obviously not get auto focus but you may get AF assist (indicator comes on in view finder when it is in focus). And you may have to use the camera in manual mode. I only know Nikon and some Canon so not sure about the Pentax line.

Looks like you can meter with Manual mode and stop down metering, and AV mode is available.

Last edited:
I have a Sony 100 and none of the lenses I use are digital and all of mine auto focus. The only difference I heard about was the crop factor as benhasajeep mentioned. I guess the auto focus workning or not working all depends on the camera brand.

I have a Sony 100 and none of the lenses I use are digital and all of mine auto focus. The only difference I heard about was the crop factor as benhasajeep mentioned. I guess the auto focus workning or not working all depends on the camera brand.

The camera listing she is interested in buying is a manual focus film camera. The lenses are most likely MF K type lenses. So, they would only be manual focus on her digital body. They would be useable, but have limitations. As for a film camera, the ME Super is a decent camera if she was interested in film at all. It was the first 35mm film camera I got to use as a kid. :mrgreen:

The camera listing she is interested in buying is a manual focus film camera. The lenses are most likely MF K type lenses. So, they would only be manual focus on her digital body. They would be useable, but have limitations. As for a film camera, the ME Super is a decent camera if she was interested in film at all. It was the first 35mm film camera I got to use as a kid. :mrgreen:

My mistake :blushing: ;)

Thanks for all the info!! I think if he still has them available, I'll definately buy them, at the price he's got em for, I can't not. :) The 40-80 mm lens, though, is that basically a regular length kind of lense? I know the other is a zoom, but I don't know if I've heard of a 40-80mm

Thanks for all the info!! I think if he still has them available, I'll definately buy them, at the price he's got em for, I can't not. :) The 40-80 mm lens, though, is that basically a regular length kind of lense? I know the other is a zoom, but I don't know if I've heard of a 40-80mm

The 40-80 on your digital would be the upper end of what's considered normal length for a lens. 40mm-80mm coverage on film / full frame camera. Act like a 60mm-120mm zoom on your K100. I am guessing you have maybe a kit lens that came with your K100? Something around 18-55mm? So the 40-80 lens would be a step up in telephoto range. And of course the 80-200mm even longer telephoto coverage.

Thanks benhasajeep! And you're right, I have the kit lenses, and a 50mm I just purchased. It'll be nice to have a variety of lenses to try out. But thank you again to all of you who responded! This site has been such an awesome resource for a noob like me!

Thanks benhasajeep! And you're right, I have the kit lenses, and a 50mm I just purchased. It'll be nice to have a variety of lenses to try out. But thank you again to all of you who responded! This site has been such an awesome resource for a noob like me!

Read up on using manual mode and AV mode on your camera if your going to use those lenses. And practice some when you get them. Requires slightly more work on your part to use. But its not that hard once you learn it and get used to it. I use manual focus lenses all the time with my cameras.

Most reactions

Back