Non-photogenic models?

TheStupidForeigner

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm a complete newbie at portrait/human photography but it's something I'm trying to get into. My first model is of course my own wife who in real life is an absolute stunner, but in photos she looks horrible! I think I've never seen such an non-photogenic person!

It actually really fascinates me what makes humans photogenic or not. I know for her the biggest problem is smiling naturally, but even in candid photos she still doesn't look as good as I think she should.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me and/or her and any people I may photograph in the future?

Shallow Hal needs a gal! haha

I say just ensure the person is comfortable, relaxed, wearing something which suits the surroundings, and obviously wants to be there.

That's about it from me.

It's very difficult to say without actually seeing what you're talking about. IMO, there is no such thing as a non-photogenic person, just someone who dealt with an unskiled photographer. My guess is that with more experience, particularily in lighting and posing, you would get the result you want.

I'm a complete newbie at portrait/human photography but it's something I'm trying to get into. My first model is of course my own wife who in real life is an absolute stunner, but in photos she looks horrible! I think I've never seen such an non-photogenic person!

It actually really fascinates me what makes humans photogenic or not. I know for her the biggest problem is smiling naturally, but even in candid photos she still doesn't look as good as I think she should.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me and/or her and any people I may photograph in the future?

It's tough to get a natural looking portrait. They need confidence in front of the camera, and you as the photographer need to make them feel comfortable and relaxed. It's tough. Real tough. I have yet to even be average at it.

As other posters have noted, without examples it's hard to tell what the specific issues are.

1. It can help to have some sample poses picked out to start with. I mention this b/c if you're new to portraiture, you may be picking poses that don't work for your wife's body type...exaggerating her arms or thighs or giving her a thicker neck. Pose means everything--it can add or delete 10 pounds.

2. If she looks stiff and uncomfortable posing, here are several hints. Don't have her pose. Give her something to do and then take a shot when she's doing it (knitting, reading, grooming the dog, looking at a photo on her phone, cleaning her classes, polishing a glass). Get a pose you like and then tell her to take a deep breath and exhale...just relax (but don't tell her "RELAX!!!"). Have her look at something else in the room and on the count of "3" make eye contact with you. Tell her to imagine that she sees something silly that you aren't aware of...that your fly is open or you've got toilet paper stuck to the bottom of your shoe or you spilled something on your head and don't know it.

3. You say she doesn't smile well. So don't ask her to smile. Seriously--just don't have her smile. Or if you must, tell her a joke as you shoot. Or tell her to imagine that she's got a secret.

4. If she thinks she looks bad in photos and she hates the experience of posing, than the longer it takes you to set up a shot, the more likely you are to end up with a loser of a photo. The iconic Karsh portrait of Churchill was taken spontaneously--Karsh pulled the cigar out of Churchill's mouth and he scowled back with a facial gesture that just says "FU" but it captured Churchill's character. Further, it was quick and spontaneous. Karsh didn't tell Churchill "okay, I want you to look indomitable now". Work with someone other than your wife to improve your skill and the speed at which you shoot so her discomfort level doesn't build when you shoot with her.

Photographing people at church events, there's one woman who almost never smiles. However, I did get a posed-shot with a smile from her when she was with her teenage daughter who was dressed in a costume for an event.

Extending that idea, perhaps having your wife pose with the pet cat/dog/bird or a hobby item of hers or with someone else in the family, etc. Either way, she'd be relaxed and more likely to be in a 'smiley mood' than nervous about being in a picture. There's also people who simply don't want their picture taken for who-knows-what? reasons, and they'll turn away, hold their hand in front of their face, etc, whenever they see a camera.

Thanks for all the advice, did a shoot last night and it really helped. Does anyone know any good youtube videos or articles about posing models or anything along this topic? I've tried a few videos but never found much good on this topic :/

Thanks for all the advice, did a shoot last night and it really helped. Does anyone know any good youtube videos or articles about posing models or anything along this topic? I've tried a few videos but never found much good on this topic :/

Look up Sue Bryce on YouTube! Specifically "posing different body types", but any video by her is worth it's weight in gold!

What type of posing are we doing? Headshots, casual portraits, boudoir?

The biggest thing I can tell you is especially if you're photographing your wife, or any other person who is capable of the patience to sit in for you.. lol take a photo, and then stop. Look at the back of your camera and assess what you see. If its the expression that's not working.. change it. If its something about the body language, change it. If you can stop and critically assess each frame you take or every few frames even you can just continue to work towards a better image. I do this a lot with newborns especially as weird as that sounds. It's like ok get the shot, and then what can we do to make it better?

It would definitely be helpful if you posted an image or two to have people help you in establishing what exactly is "wrong" with the images.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back