noob needs some help on pp...!!!

musashi.t2i

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hi everyone. hopefully somebody can point me to the right direction. ok heres the problem, since i started shooting in raw, i know i have to pp to convert it to jpeg. but the question is, how come the image looks different during pp (lr3 and dpp) compared to after saving it in raw and viewing it in windows photo viewer? when i view the finished jpeg product in windows photo viewer it looks bad, but when i load the raw file in lr3 or dpp, the photo looks good. i tried doing nothing in lr3 and dpp, just load it, no editing whatsoever, and the photo viewed in lr3 and windows still comes out different.

Relax. It's Sunday and not as many people are online.

The difference is: Raw files have a 16-bit depth after conversion and JPEGs only have an 8-bit depth.

Digital SLR cameras offer 2 bit depths for Raw captures: 12-bit and 14 bit.

Some cameras only offer 12-bit Raw, like the Nikon D90, and some offer both 12-bit and 14-bit Raw like Nikon's D300/D300s.

The difference is: Raw files have a 16-bit depth after conversion and JPEGs only have an 8-bit depth.

Some cameras only offer 12-bit Raw, like the Nikon D90, and some offer both 12-bit and 14-bit Raw like Nikon's D300/D300s.

well how do i edit it so that what i edit is the same quality i look at afterwards? i dont do any printing. dont know if that info helps.

Did you set the image quality to 10? What do you mean by "it looks bad"? Pixelation? Different color?

well how do i edit it so that what i edit is the same quality i look at afterwards? i dont do any printing. dont know if that info helps.
No, it doesn't help at all because you don't know, what you don't know.

You need to investigate what "bit depth" is all about, and unless you start using the appropriate capital letters in your posts, I choose to be done here.

Did you set the image quality to 10? What do you mean by "it looks bad"? Pixelation? Different color?

what do you mean image quality to 10? when i save it? im not sure, i have to check it.

when i say bad, its both of what you mention, pixelation and different color.

No, it doesn't help at all because you don't know, what you don't know.

You need to investigate what "bit depth" is all about, and unless you start using the appropriate capital letters in your posts, I choose to be done here.

thanks for all the help. but you didnt have to be so mean in the end. i didnt ask anybody to proof read my post. but thanks anyway.

Most reactions

Back