Noob on the move....

amandalee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I was asked by a friend who is taking pictures of her friends wedding if I wanted to come along and be a second shooter... of course I said sure since after all its practice! That said I just wanted to get some tips from you guys so I don't get in the way or screw up anything... and basically tips for doing well at a wedding... I believe it is indoors and everything else should be outside. Should I bring a tripod along for the photos that arent in the church and what about lighting? I'm pretty sure my friend has no flash other than a pop-up which is WAY to drastic! Any tips are greatly appreciated! And again I AM NOT BEING PAID and I WAS JUST ASKED TO COME ALONG :lol: wanted to make that clear before I got jumped on for making people pay for pictures from a complete noob lol

I am glad you are taking this as a learning opportunity. I have had the chance to do many things as a "2nd". Quite honestly, it takes the pressure off you and allows you to explore many creative opportunities.

You are right in staying out of your friends way. You know what the traditional wedding photos are. You can concentrate on other things like audience reactions and whoever the focus is not on. It also gives you the opportunity to try new things when failing is not fatal. You can afford to "try" an available light shot that creates an ambiance that the friend simply can't get with a flash.

Make sure with your friend ahead of time what they expect of you, if anything. Make sure your gear is ready to go and have fun.

Should I bring a tripod along for the photos that arent in the church and what about lighting?

I do bring my tripod. It makes the detail shots and the venue shots much easier. Not so easy to do a 5 second exposure hand held. As far as lighting, yes, for the reception you will need a speedlight, and most people would say you need a studio flash for the formals.

If your friend is the main photographer and she doesn't have anything other than the pop up flash, this sounds like it is going to be a disaster. Heck, it just about sounds like she is depending on you to bail her out.

There are a ton of threads on here about people shooting their first wedding. Here are a couple where I actually gave some advice instead of just making fun of the OP...

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/beyond-basics/246973-tips-pointers.html
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...ery/246797-asked-do-another-wedding-help.html

Hey Amanda, everyone has to do their first wedding at some point... charge your camera battery, make sure you have heaps of cards, and using your camera is second nature (focussing, metering, framing etc..)..
Leave the tripod at home.. I have shot over 200 weddings, and used a tripod about three times... they are just something else to get in the way, and take time to use, and if you can use your camera properly, I don't personally see a need for them... put it in the car and take with you if you must, just in case :)
Relax, and have fun...
Be friendly to all of the guests, and even if they upset you somehow, smile, and move on and keep focussed on what you are doing.... and seeing as though you are working with a lead photographer, definitely find out what the expectations are of you during the ceremony, such as not shooting the same images from the same place... and in the other times when you are shooting at the same times as the photographer..
There doesn't sound like there is much pressure there, so just chill, and go with the flow.. you will be amazed at your images if you just relax and go with it...
Have fun and don't forget to post so we can see them ! :)

Rich.
:)
www.newimagephotography.com.au

^^^^^^What the others have said and I must add find out if it's an open bar. :lol: Have fun.

Thanks guys! I definitely looked at the links and those were pretty helpful. I agree... I think she asked me to come along to kind of bail her out... the way I see it tho is she is the one that will get blamed for it...not me because I'm just there for experience. She knows that I have lighting equipment but its nothing for weddings just a studio set-up but I don't even have a flash for it all yet! I hope that's not what is misleading her. I really see this being a disaster... She's a good photographer but she just started too and on top of that I know that she relies GREATLY and well EXCLUSIVELY on natural lighting... I don't see that happening much at the ceremony or reception. To be honest I kind of feel bad because I don't think she knows exactly what she's getting into. She's one of those that thinks that if she can shoot portraits she can shoot anything.... I'm getting more nervous.

I haven't told her yet that I would for sure be there, mostly because I'm way scared this is going to be a disaster what would you do?

I'd suggest that you make up a checklist of things to think about (equipment, arrangements, schedule, backup strategy, deliverables, etc.) and review it with her. The best case scenario is that she's covered much of what had to be covered, and has a strategy of handling the things she can't control. The worse case scenario is that she (and you) realizes that she's in over her head and bails. But it will be better to deal with the issues ahead of time, as opposed to doing damage control during and after. You may, in fact, save herself from a disaster, which is not a bad thing for a friend to do.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back