Noob photographers rant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps the OP should focus on the quality of their own photographs before casting stones on others. I bet the OP didn't think this thread would go in this direction. There's really no need to dog pile on parents taking snapshots of their kids. Not everyone is aspiring to be a good photographer. Now if you'll excuse me, I have a hurricane to attend to.

I think it's stupid to spend money on things and not use them to their full potential.
I wonder if your parents are thinking that about your Christian public school education they spent money on?

Wel i gave my wife my D7000 set it to auto so she could take pictures of my boys end of year bmx trophy handing out so what does that make her lol

I think I'm hearing the same voice in my head that Buckster heard. "don't respond, don't respond" . But I've never really listened to the voices much so here goes:

Original Poster your rant reveals an incredible degree of immaturity and snobbishness. If you were to come up to me and ask to borrow my camera to mess around with you would not get near it. You think you have sized up everyone you came in contact with at the homecoming game: I'll wager they have you pretty well sized up as well. I believe you think you can read people and are truly on a higher plane with regard to your powers of observation. I would suggest you spend a little less time analyzing other people's photographic equipment and skill level and spend a little more time working on your own photographic skills and a lot more time working on your personality.

And as many others have said... why exactly do you care how they use their cameras and why is it any of your concern ? Of course we know why you asked to borrow the lady's camera.... you felt the need to mess with it and take photos that she would later look at and declare what a wonderful, talented, photographic genius you are. Right ?

The narcissism found in the OP is troubling. I'd take what tuffy has said under advisement.

Just so that its said...
What ever way you spin it, we (be it professionals, hobby, or amateur photographers) need the general public to buy these enetry level cameras. In the end, Nikon and Canon is a company who's solemn purpose is to satisfy the owners just as much as their customers. Its the golden rule of any company.

We are a limited group, who buy a limited amount of equipment. If it was only us buying this equipment, their products would have to be a lot more expensive to cover the costs of research and development, production, repairs, support, software, etc. Basically making all these productions maybe 10 times as expensive as what it is now.

There's no new technology in the entry level models. Its just 5 years old professional gear in a new casing, and some research put into it to make it smaller. Perhaps some research in making it more user friendly. But no new technology. Big brands have just found a new pool of income, selling old technology to people that don't care or know enough about the subject - be it because they're snobs with too much money, or because this old technology is more then good enough for them to take decent enough pictures for them to capture their memories.

So really, you should be going around thanking all those snobs for buying these nice fancy brand spanking new shiny DSLR's with no idea what so ever on who to use, making it possible for you to buy/afford your camera, and being all pro like!!

I was at a homecoming game last night at a Christian public school I used to go to. It was so stupid seeing all these rich families running around with entry level DSLR's shooting in auto x'D I asked this one random person if I could use hers real quick because I was bored, she had it in macro mode! What is wrong with people buying DSLR's to only shoot in auto and these retarded camera modes?!?! It's got to be a status symbol or something. So stupid I swear....there were few legit or experienced photographers that knew what they were doing so that was great to see. I gotta contact this guy to see if I can work as an assistant for him or something. I need a joooooobbbb

Your point is?

yeah, currently you can make the argument that Nikon and Canon only make their top level cameras as advertising and R&D practice for their intro bodies. Sort of how the Corvette itself actually loses money (when you consider R&D), but is there to up the perception of the Chevrolet brand.

The only reason Canon and Nikon have the money to innovate at the pace they do is because of all the people who aren't dedicated photographers, who shoot mostly on full auto, buying their entry level bodies.

yeah, currently you can make the argument that Nikon and Canon only make their top level cameras as advertising and R&D practice for their intro bodies. Sort of how the Corvette itself actually loses money (when you consider R&D), but is there to up the perception of the Chevrolet brand.

The only reason Canon and Nikon have the money to innovate at the pace they do is because of all the people who aren't dedicated photographers, who shoot mostly on full auto, buying their entry level bodies.

And smart cameras to play Angry Birds on...

Ah, come on people. We've all been immature and opinionated at least during part of our lives, right? And most of us continue to be somewhat immature about some things even as we grow into our dotage. I have a daughter who knew everything at the age of 17. She knew what good music was, and who the good writers were, and what was good for the planet, and how our political system should work. She knew all about what makes relationships work, and the intrinsic value of everything. Was very dismissive of the "uneducated and uninformed" people (ie, those who did not share her viewpoints). Fortunately, she survived that period, continued to grow and learned more about what she didn't know... And now, almost a decade later, she's a really interesting person to be with and to talk to. Certainty was replaced by nuance, black and white developed a whole range of intermediate shades. But you need some living experience, and some hard knocks at times, to realize that the world exists independent of what we think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back