noob photography

jeremyboycool

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been working on taking night and dusk pictures. The pictures where brighter on my home pc but they are darker here at work. So please let me know if they are to dark to be viewed. I tried to minimize the amount of noise with both camera settings and psp but I am still very noobish at this. My camera will only let me leave the shutter open for 15 sec.
Any criticism and/or tips would be welcome. :thumbup:

IMG_0728.jpg

3.jpg

1.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------
And some sunset pictures:
5.jpg

6.jpg

------
This is a shot of the veiw out of my office window at work.
4.jpg

-----

IMG_0708.jpg

-------

They are a tad dark on my laptop here. Makes you notice detail less.

Is the noise from editing these photos or is that how they were taken?

Unfortunately you're stuck here. Your camera limits you to 15s exposures. Increasing the ISO allows the sensor to be more sensitive to light but a sideeffect is it creates noise. It seems even on the highest iso it's still not exposing well enough.

Those pictures would be great sans the noise and darkness, but those factors were outside of your control with this camera.

Very dark on this end.

Do you have a BULB setting on your camera at all? If you do, you can possibly buy a cable shutter release cord and have better light captured.

You didn't say about your photo editing preferences so I'm assuming you don't mind if these are edited.

I've taken a shot at reducing the noise in some of the photos.

noise2.jpg

dark1.jpg

Hello jon,

Go ahead and edit all you want jon. I would like to know what method you use to reduce noise. I like what you did with the lamp post.

Hey DigitalDiva,

My cam does not have a BULB setting, so any ideas on how I should shoot in the dark would be cool.

Hello jon,

Go ahead and edit all you want jon. I would like to know what method you use to reduce noise. I like what you did with the lamp post.

Hey DigitalDiva,

My cam does not have a BULB setting, so any ideas on how I should shoot in the dark would be cool.

I would make a guess that jon used either Noise Ninja, Neat Image, or something similar to reduce the noise. They are great programs. I use Noise Ninja. You can download a trial or buy the program here.

As far as the images are concerned, they look like you were just testing out the camera and not much more. This is fine if that's all they were for. Try if you can next time you go out to focus on making sure you don't get the power lines into the shots for this has a tendency to destroy great shots.

Hello Boblybill,

Can psp 8.10 be used to reduced noise? I would pefer to learn to use what I already have available.

Your right though the power lines did ruin the shot. I wanted to make them part of the photo instead of trying to hide them, but I still have a lot to learn about composing a photo.

I actually used Adobe Photoshop CS3.

I went to the filter menu in Photoshop. I can't say exactly what since I'm processing some HDR images right now that will take some time. It went something like this Filters Menu > Noise > Noise Reduction. This filter lets you take out lots of noise from images. I also tweaked the contrast and brightness to bring out more colors. That's it!

I'm kind of interested in Noisa Ninja and might give that a try. I'm not sure if it can perform any better than Photoshops noise reduction. It might, we'll have to see.

I've been using Photoshop 7.0 since it came out and only been using CS3 for a couple of days. I'm really enjoying the new things they've added. Unfortunately I don't enjoy how it's somewhat slow even on my computer with two cores at 2.0ghz and a gigabyte of memory. This program /still/ eats all that speed right up.

P.S. You should be able to edit out those powerlines in photoshop too.
E.G.
powerlines3.jpg

P.P.S. Paint Shop Pro /might/ have noise reduction abilities. I never could learn PSP. I've been a Photoshop user since Photoshop 3.0 Trial on Macintosh (1997 I think?) After using Photoshop so long, it's hard to switch to a new program.

I'm kind of interested in Noisa Ninja and might give that a try. I'm not sure if it can perform any better than Photoshops noise reduction. It might, we'll have to see.

Noise Ninja is awesome. Once you use it you won't go back to the PS version...

For number 4, for instance, EXIF indicates that you were shooting 1/64 at f5.6 if you use a larger aperture (lower F value) you will be able to use a slower shutter speed. Does your camera have a manual mode?

For number 4, for instance, EXIF indicates that you were shooting 1/64 at f5.6 if you use a larger aperture (lower F value) you will be able to use a slower shutter speed. Does your camera have a manual mode?

It does seem this is possible.

Looks like the following modes are available to his camera.
• Auto
• Program AE
• Shutter Priority AE
• Aperture Priority AE
• Manual

Hello jon,

Ya I poked around on psp and it does have noise reduction abilities. I think I might need to get a higher quality tripod though, I seem to be haveing prombles with graining or blurred images. Thanks for taking the time to show me the difference a photo program can make.

Hello Everybodylikepie,

Ya I have been messing around with the manual setting trying to get a feel for it.

-----

Here are two more dusk pictures I would like to share. :)

IMG_0060.jpg

IMG_0048.jpg

Most reactions

Back