Noob posting first pics, comments appreciated.

Dekz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Alright, I've had this camera for about 4 days now, so please be gentle. This is basically my first attempt at photography. Also please note, the first 5 pics were taken with my old HP Photosmart 435 POS.

I work the graveyard shift at a hotel, so 90% of my picture taking is done between 11 pm and 7 am. Anyways, here we go...

Taking a pic of the clouds and accidentally got my car in the pic, I think it turned out pretty cool. I'm definately gonna try to get some sky reflection pics on purpose now, lol.
cougar.jpg

Just some random shots of the sky.
sky1.jpg

sky4.jpg

sky8.jpg

sky9.jpg

A storm coming in while I was working, these were probably at about 4:30 am
storm.jpg

storm2.jpg

Work at about 5 am.
clouds.jpg

The view from work at 6:30 am, Unfortunately it wasn't a very nice day today so I'll get some better ones soon.
workview1.jpg

workview2.jpg

workview3.jpg

workview4.jpg

Sorry there are so many. I've been into photography for maybe 2 weeks or so now, lol. I welcome any and all advice. Don't feel bad about giving negative comments, as long as it is constructive criticism.

Hey, don't care too much about critisms now. Just have fun! A lot of times I learn by unexpected things. Just take more pictures since you got digital. Also, trying to give yourself a goal for each of the pictures you take and see if you achieve them.

So far my comment for the photos are that they look static to me, but don't worry, just have fun!

Your random sky shots are fine, but you'll quickly discover that "pretty colors" doesn't make a shot. While nice to look at, unless there is more to look at than just the colors, they'll get old fast. I think it's a realization every photographer goes though at one point or another.

My other advice is to rotate your photos. I'm not sure what software you have available to edit your photos, but whenever you have horizon lines, or vertical lines, if they are crooked, it will annoy your viewer. Your brain wants them straight, but the photo doesn't budge. :)

So if you can just rotate the images that need it, a few degrees or what have you. It can really help an image.

Welcome to the photography way of life, once you're hooked, you'll never look at the world the same way again. :D

if only number five had been taken a little closer to the trees...almost feels like i'm being sucked in. Brilliant colors.

I wish my first pics had turned out as well!

i think your best picture here is your 4th one. good colors and good composition.

i'll give you a personal tips. i think the thing a lot of new photographers do wrong, is that they don't get close enough to their subjects (which is something i really shouldn't talk about, as i've only been taking picture for about four months). take your pictures with the benches in them for example. if you would have gotten closer to the benches, and maybe lower to the ground, the picture could have turned out way more interesting. i've found that getting closer helps to prevent the eye from wadering around all over the picture.

just a thought though. you have some pretty good stuff here.

On the last shot - try reshooting but change your angle so you don't see the white rail on the left but just the picnic tables. That is a really interresting curving line and the color is a great contrast to the grass.

Great to see the enthusiasm. Aren't digital cameras great! I think you noticed yourself that you posted too many at once. Not only does that tend to be a bit tedious for a viewer to go through, but it dilutes attention away from the better pictures.

Personally I really like the colors in the sky in #8 (Work at 5:00) If you have any editing software you might be able to brighten up the foreground a little and perhaps crop part of the picnic area out. Play around with it and see if you like that any better.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back