Noob Q!: Strobe verse light ring for macro jewelry photos?

joshinaround

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi guys! I'm trying to replicate a tutorial I've found here: Simple Jewelry Photography Using 2 Lights | Jewelry Photography Blog

I currently have just one strobe and I'm either looking for a second (like tutorial) or to purchase a macro light ring for jewelry photography. My question is, would I get the same results with a light ring? I wouldn't want to end up with totally different results. I would prefer a light ring so I can manually focus and stay out of the way of the front facing strobe.

Also, if anyone suggests trying the light ring verse a strobe, maybe you can recommend one?
(Lets say my budget is approx $200)

Thank you for your input!

I would say a strobe is much more versatile; something like a Flashpoint 320 from Adorama.

Do you suppose a light ring would get the same results? Or maybe the light differences, one strobe, one light ring firing at the same time would be difficult to balance...

The source of the light (ring, strobe, whatever) is irrelevant; it's the modifier that counts. Are you thinking you can shoot a ring-light bare-bulb and get the same results? That ain't going to happen. Shooting stuff like this is all about reflection control and avoiding specularity.

Hi guys! I'm trying to replicate a tutorial I've found here: Simple Jewelry Photography Using 2 Lights | Jewelry Photography Blog

I currently have just one strobe and I'm either looking for a second (like tutorial) or to purchase a macro light ring for jewelry photography. My question is, would I get the same results with a light ring? I wouldn't want to end up with totally different results. I would prefer a light ring so I can manually focus and stay out of the way of the front facing strobe.

Also, if anyone suggests trying the light ring verse a strobe, maybe you can recommend one?

The tutorial you linked to does not include a ring light. Also, you seem to be under the impression that a ring light is not a strobe. A ring light is mostly the circular dish-type reflector that a strobe is lighting. So it is a strobe as well, just a different modifier.

If you want to replicate the tutorial, obtain the specific equipment that is in the tutorial and set it up exactly as shown.

The tutorial you linked to does not include a ring light. Also, you seem to be under the impression that a ring light is not a strobe. A ring light is mostly the circular dish-type reflector that a strobe is lighting. So it is a strobe as well, just a different modifier.

If you want to replicate the tutorial, obtain the specific equipment that is in the tutorial and set it up exactly as shown.
I think you're referring to a beauty dish are you not? A ring light is a circular light (either continuous or strobed around an aperture through which the camera's lens can be placed.

Sorry for any confusion, I was talking about these things: mircro flash ring : Buy or Learn at Adorama

Basically I'm just seeking advice from anyone who's used one of these. They cost a bit more then regular strobes, but I like the idea that with one of these rings, I can be out of the way of the front facing strobe in the tutorial. So I'm wondering is I could get the same results with one of these marco light rings?

Thank you!

I think you're referring to a beauty dish are you not? A ring light is a circular light (either continuous or strobed around an aperture through which the camera's lens can be placed.

Me? It was the OP who is confused. FWIW: I did not mean beauty dish.

Maybe I should have described the ring light as more of a Jell-O ring mould. Or perhaps an angel food cake pan looking thing.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back