Noob takes headshot of model hopeful

garynyc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
How-dee folks;

Just need some pointers for this headshot. What would help maximize this image? I think I could have used more hairlight, more background light, perhaps more fill? Just starting out. Any tips appreciated!

Moses.jpg

:er:

Reactions: Rob
Welcome!

I like his expression, the color balance, and the simple lighting, but I think you're right, more lights would probably help. It looks like you used a single softbox (or maybe a window). A fill on the left would help. He needs to be separated from the background somehow: fill & hairlight or a lighter background. A fill light would also add a nice highlight in his eyes. Right now they are pretty dark, and the one there is mostly in the whites.

I'd frame differently, also; probably vertical. His hair and chin are cropped pretty close, but there's a lot of background on either side. Plus he's right in the middle.

All that said, it's a good portrait. And it's worlds apart from the typical straight-on flash shot. Being limited to a single light, I think you picked a great angle for it.

I should add that if you are limited on lights, a reflector made of white foam core placed low on the left will reflect some of the main light up on him and act as a fill. That alone might do it.

Thank you both for the critique. I shot this young guy today, and I think we we both had no clue as to what we were doing. Here's another pic from the shoot that utilizes more of what Mark recommended. I actually used 2 Photogenic Studiomax IIs and a 90 w/s hairlight with a snoot, but I didn't pay attention to the hairlight position half the time, I also didn't want to overlight the dude. Also my first time shooting a dark skinned gent. Lot of firsts!

Moses_3_Web.jpg
http://d1228743.u48.infinology.net/downloads/Moses_3_Web.jpg

Jeez I altered the levels and cropped the original, then posted it back to my website. Whoops! Now the critique isn't based on whats there now lol.

Dang. That's better. I had just played a game which disabled my monitor calibration app. I didn't realize it until now, so I re-enabled it. Now I can see the separation from the background. One of the reasons getting the monitor right is so important. :rolls eyes:

So... I'm just picking up the second light in his eyes in this larger image. I still wouldn't have guessed it was a light without you telling me, but now I can see the detail on that side of his face in both images and see a little highlight in his ear. I think you did an even better job in that first one than I originally thought. One of the reasons I was thinking the light was so well placed is that you avoided that highlight on his forehead that shows up in this second one. That's such a pain. I also like the skin tone better.

Now that I can see it better, the only thing I would change on that first one is the crop. (The crop on the second still seems a little close to me.) I think you really nailed it, at least to my eye. Beautiful! Do you have more?

garynyc said:
Jeez I altered the levels and cropped the original, then posted it back to my website. Whoops! Now the critique isn't based on whats there now lol.
Now I'm all confuzzled... :p

Anyway, I wouldn't go any brighter on it. You are pushing the edge of blowing the right side.

You can tell I like this image, because I can't shut up.

Ya a bit blown now. Have to move on and shoot my Canon XL-1 to sell on Ebay! I'll readjust levels again Manana. Thanks Mark!

No offense to your model-hopeful, but I'd light it from the other side so that the shadow drops off the left side of his face and makes it look less wide.

#2 is infinitely better. Don't forget that a head shot doesn't always have to be this tight - sometimes it's better to get a smidgen more space in the frame to be more flattering. I'd suggest trying a slightly higher angle and a touch of elevation to be a touch more flattering. Altogether a great job though!

Rob

The 2 last points are also well taken. Just read about short lighting and it makes sense. I'll also work on angles and elevation.

Just getting him to relax was a challenge in itself! I posted on Craiglist offering free head shots so I have to force myself to learn the obvious lessons quickly. Thank you folks for all the input!

This terrific actress had many angles and a very animated face. It took quite a while just to get an image that she wanted to portray. Please let me know what you folks would have done to improve this image.

THANK YOU!

Megan_.jpg

Most reactions

Back