NOOB w/ a Nikon D3100......what lenses???

sroc3

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I just got a new Nikon D3100 from BBuy and it came with a 18-55mm lens. I went back today and they have a package where for $200 more I can get an additional:

- 8GB (Class 10) SD Card
- A carrying case (kinda flimsy)
- Nikon 55-200mm lens with VR auto focus

Is it worth it?? should I go Online and buy elsewhere? This deal is good till Saturday....From what I'm told, I should have this staple - 18-55, 55-200 and a 50mm/1.8.

Advice? Thoughts? :)

Thanks in advance forum!!!!!!

I just bought my D5000 the other day and had an option similar to buy a combo with a 55-200mm. I want to get a 55-200mm to get some zoom action. But i have to agree though they sell some cheap travelpro case that reallly isnt worth much. It's up to you. I saved my money and just got the kit, the 18-55mm is doing just fine for my development and curiosity of photography.

What would you like to shoot?

almost everything:

- Models (human)
- Still Photography w/ timed exposure and aperture play
- Sunsets and other nature shots
- Portrait shots - like closeups of wood grains, rocks, insects...etc.
- Action shots of Cycling and Ocean shots of sailboats and waves, birds in flight....

does that help?

I suggest saving the 200$ and get a better zoom...If you want to shoot fast sports like cycling or birds in flight. Keep the 18-55 kit and save up for a nice fast zoom.

I suggest saving the 200$ and get a better zoom...If you want to shoot fast sports like cycling or birds in flight. Keep the 18-55 kit and save up for a nice fast zoom.

Agree

Which one and what brand? Specs? I'd like to ideally start with a good all around one. You can suggest several and I can check on price.

Such a lens does not exist, imo.

The tamron 18-200 is in your price range though. Its decent at best.

How about if I wanted to spend $500?

Amazon.com: Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED IF AF-S VR Nikkor Zoom Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras: Camera & Photoou can also look into 3rd party lenses, tamron and sigma. Dont make your decision too quickly. Weigh your options, and narrow down the types of things you will shoot most.

How about if I wanted to spend $500?

Amazon.com: Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED IF AF-S VR Nikkor Zoom Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras: Camera & Photoou can also look into 3rd party lenses, tamron and sigma. Dont make your decision too quickly. Weigh your options, and narrow down the types of things you will shoot most.

How about this one? wouldn't 55-300 be better, giving me more range? - Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Zoom Lens 2197 B&H

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
From what I'm told, I should have this staple - 18-55, 55-200 and a 50mm/1.8.

I have had all of them. Still own the 50mm simply because it is not worth the hassle over the $80 I will get out of it when it sells. I have found that my current gear setup is perfect for what I shoot (pretty much what you listed, minus the sunsets), see my signature for the list. The 80-200 2.8 will not auto focus on your body.

I would suggest either expanding your budget (to the tune of 2X's) or looking into third party lenses.

Good luck.

p!nK

Most reactions

New Topics

Back