Noob, which to buy

KBP

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
First off, how you all doin?

i was wondering if i could get a bit of info on which of these 2 cameras would best suite me. I am a new photography and im struggling to decide which of these 2 should i get. The cannon is a but more expensive but it has more to offer. I like the new panisonic G1 and will get the 40-200mm lense with it for £720 or i want to get a cannon eos 500d for £650.

Obviously im not but i would like to at least own a camera that a pro would use on photo shoots and i honestly dont know if these 2 are. I have read some reviews on them but i still dont know which to get, or could someone recommend a camera for me.

It has to be at least 12mp and has continous shooting mode and be ale to work with raw images.

Thanks.

It has to be at least 12mp and has continous shooting mode and be ale to work with raw images.

Thanks.
Why?

Get the T1I (500D). Better yet, get a camera that has better image quality(IQ) and more usable high ISO, a Nikon D90. It's equivelent to the 500D, save the IQ.

I wouldn't take my word for the difference in the image quality. Here's a link to the testing results comparing the RAW IQ of the 2 cameras from an independent testing lab. No other features are compared. Just RAW IQ.

Thanks.
Why?

Get the T1I (500D). Better yet, get a camera that has better image quality(IQ) and more usable high ISO, a Nikon D90. It's equivelent to the 500D, save the IQ.

I wouldn't take my word for the difference in the image quality. Here's a link to the testing results comparing the RAW IQ of the 2 cameras from an independent testing lab. No other features are compared. Just RAW IQ.

Thanks m8 but im a little confuesd with being a noob and all.
are these the same cameras because they dont look the same.

This is the one a want
http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/en...recommend the top pic for a first time buyer?

Sorry m8, i think it is the same becuase the one i was looking at in currys was HD, i think its just different design depending on were you are. Please correct me if im wrong

Obviously im not but i would like to at least own a camera that a pro would use on photo shoots and i honestly dont know if these 2 are.
No, neither would be used ay a pro on a photo shot. These are entry level cameras. Pro level cameras cost a lot more. And I don't know of any pro who would use a Panasonic for their money jobs. Most pros use either Canon or Nikon.

But seeing as you're a beginner, my suggestion is to get the Canon. The Panasonic is a really tiny DSLR and is not much bigger than some P&S cameras. I think it's more a gimick than anything else.

I am also having the same problems. I would also like to get a semi pro camera.

Would you guys recommend any of these and would will i get good quality modeling and sports shots with any. What do you guys use?

EOS 1000D
EOS 450D
EOS 500D. This is over my budget, is there much comparision between the 2?

ok, so ive narrowed it down to either the 450d or 500d.

Given the choice which would you buy

The 450D with 4gb card and tamron 70-300mm lense £635

or

500D basic 18-55mm lense £659

or can you suggest one that is just as good and within this price range please.

Is there much difference between 12.2 mp and 15mp because i have heard that theres not much difference between 8/10. i honestly dont know

Last edited:
^ Jolly, please don't hijack threads. He made this for himself and you should do the same for yourself.

^ Jolly, please don't hijack threads. He made this for himself and you should do the same for yourself.

Trying not to flood with the same questions, didint see any point, he hasnt got that much help anyway. I went and by the looks of things he probably went somewhere else.

PS thanks for the advice (sarcasim)

Trying not to flood with the same questions, didint see any point, he hasnt got that much help anyway. I went and by the looks of things he probably went somewhere else.

PS thanks for the advice (sarcasim)

this forum is already flooded with similar questions...a simple search would have shown you that.
pump the brakes on your "sarcasim" if you want genuine responses.

Last edited:
How about a 30D? They can be found quite cheep used.

Hey ~ that's why the forum is here . . . to ask & answer questions, right? As quickly as cameras change, it doesn't hurt to get the latest opinions.

I think you may want to look at what you're wanting to do with your camera . . . shooting sports, you want the camera/lens to be fast. Will you be shooting outside? If so, you may need to see what sort of weather seal the cameras have. Your modeling shots will have more to do with your lighting then the camera (if choosing between the 450d & 500d).

If I were you, I would at least consider a used 30D. Now that the 50D is out, you might find something similar very inexpensive.

Nikon vs. Canon - I've used both & you'll love which ever you have. Good luck!

No harm asking the same question in the same thread..... reduces bandwidth and the number of threads we Nikon users have to open about Canon questions that weren't properly titled in the first place.. :lol:

Most reactions

Back