<-->Noob who needs help<-->

lostpuppy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello everyone this is my first post here but far from my last, I want to get into photography and hopefully go to school for it as well. But I need a camera before I do any of that... Which brings out the question :mrgreen:. I'm looking for a camera that is digital and is good for some arty pictures. I've been reading all around the place and i've narrowed down a search to the nikon D40: Nikon D40 6.1MP Digital SLR Camera + Nikon 18-55mm AF-S Lens + Nikon SLR Gadget Bag + Transcend 2GB 150x SecureDigital Card + USB Card Reader for 599.99 or [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-D40x-55-200mm-Transcend-SecureDigital/dp/B000REJZDM/ref=sr_1_7/102-4532077-5432110?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1187550870&sr=1-7"]Nikon D40x 10.2MP Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm AF-S DX Nikkor Lens Outfit + Nikon 55-200mm ED AF-S Lens + Transcend 2GB 150x SecureDigital Card + High Speed USB 2.0 Card Reader + Nikon SLR Gadget Bag[/ame]
for 979.99 now I think the d40x will be the best so I can blow up my picture mores... Which brings up the second question, Whats the difference to the sizes of 6.1 and 10.2mp?

if any of you think this is a bad camera to start out with... let me know please and point me in the right direction. Im on a short budget and im not looking for anything fantasy just a nice camera to start with that can do some artys photos.

:hail:Thanks in advanced :hail:
~Lost pup

or should I get
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Digital-Autofocus-70-300mm-Accessory/dp/B000LRCJTC/ref=sr_1_24/102-4532077-5432110?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1187552058&sr=1-24"]Nikon D80 10.2MP Digital SLR Camera with Tamron Autofocus 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 & Nikon 70-300mm f/4-5.6G AF Lenses + 2GB Deluxe Accessory Kit[/ame] which is a little over my budget but I keep seeing posts and replys from here saying its great?

the D80 in itself is a good camera. If i wasn't a huge Canon fan myself i might consider getting a Nikon. As for the lens, someone else is better suited to answer that question than I am. Really you can't go wrong with either one. The D40 is great for starting out and later you can always upgrade to the d80. your lenses will work with your upgrade and that is really where you want to invest your money in anyway.

they are simular but the D80 by far has greater resolution. you are going to get larger printable images the larger the pixel resolution you buy. so if you think you will need to print larger than 8x10 then go for the d80 right now. if you think you wont and are really looking for a camera to learn on then save your money and get the d40 but invest in better lenses.

I use a canon 350D, it does everything I need it to do, and more.... And you can pick them up pretty darn cheap now.... I really recommend a canon :D

(wait for the canon vs nikon war :D)

save your money and stick with the d40. Use the money you saved for a flash and another lens.

I have to disagree that you'd need a 10mp sensor to print larger than 8x10. People can and do print significantly larger than that with 6mp cameras. Resolution is about more than just pixel count. Lens quality in particular is very important. As is how you enlarge the image to the required print size. Now a 10mp sensor does have advantages over a 6mp one in terms of cropping and larger prints... but not really by far.

I have a Canon, but I wasn't on abudget. If you're going to do it, do it right. I think Canon and Nikon are both really great cameras but Canon is extremely reliable, its been around forever and you don't really hear many bad things about Canons. And about enlarging pictures...I have a 10mp Canon Rebel XTi and I just recently printed out family portraits from an online site at the size of 20x30 and they turned out great. They weren't grainy or stretched/skewed at all. I think if you're going to invest in a camera such as the ones mentioned, I based my decision off of how it felt in my hands, and the easy to follow instructions...not the price.
Good Luck finding your camera, I truly believe when you start looking, you'll know when you pick one up which one is best for you.:mrgreen:

Theres something you have to remember though, the d40 and d40x have no autofocus motor in the body im pretty sure, so you have to buy af lenses if you want more then those two unless you want completely manual. The d80 does have the autofocus motor in it. Just thought i would mention that.

Theres something you have to remember though, the d40 and d40x have no autofocus motor in the body im pretty sure, so you have to buy af-S lenses if you want more then those two unless you want completely manual. The d80 does have the autofocus motor in it. Just thought i would mention that.
fixed

I say get the D40(body only if you can, it'd be dirt cheap) with a small flash and a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, a 2 gig memory card, and a cheapo tripod. Don't get the D40x, MP is the last place I'd invest in.

Most reactions

Back