Noobie Lens help!

Malemmy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Well, I thought I made my mind up on the Nikon D7000, but since I am a VERY beginner with this, meaning I know close to nothing about DSLR's :blushing: I think I have 95% decided on the D5100...seems to have all I need for way less. My q is...I am going to buy just the body and a different lens. I am going to be doing primarily children, family pics, and pets. What would be a good all around lens to purchase with this camera? Any thing else I should buy and know? I am currently learning about DSLR photography and I just want to make sure this would be a good starter camera that I could grow into also. All help is greatly appreciated! Thanks :mrgreen:

I would start with which ever kit lens is sold with the body you decide on. The main reason is that when bundled like this, you usually save a fair amount, and the lenses are generally good, all-around lenses. Once you've had a while to learn and play, then you can make a more informed decision as to what might be a better lens choice.

The lens that comes with this kit is 18-55mm VR lens...but doing some research I find that people recommend the 50mm 1.8
Should I get both? Or just stick with the kit for now?

Stick with the kit for now and enjoy taking photos and learn you're camera before you start getting into more advanced stuff.

prodigy2k7 said:
Stick with the kit for now and enjoy taking photos and learn you're camera before you start getting into more advanced stuff.

^ I agree!
you'll learn a lot with the kit lens if you're just starting out. :)
you might feel a little restricted with a prime lens only, no matter what length it is.
as for the 50 mm, I love mine and use it often but it can be tough on a crop body (especially with pets who are trying to get all close to you while you're snapping away).
so I suggest kit lens first!
then once you get the kit lens (and learn a lot), zoom it to 50mm and practice shooting at only that length to get used to whether or not that's the next length you want :D

If you want to save the most get the D5100 & kit 18-55. if you got some cash you can spend apart from that, get the 35mm 1.8G. - then you'll have all you need to start, both for day and night shooting.

the 50mm 1.8 is a better lens then the 35mm generally speaking, but on a cropped sensor body 5100, the 35mm will have the focal length of 52mm, but the 50mm will have the focal length of 75mm, which is great for portraits but it may be too tight in small areas. and you'll find you're self 'hugging walls' to try and get the shot and frame things :D. that's why I recommend the 35mm and not the 50mm IF you can afford it apart from the kit lens.

Agreeeed, just follow these words. And when you decide to get another lens you can choose it yourself, because then you will know what you need.

my second DSLR setup was a d5100 with the kit 18-55mm. Great combo, enjoyed every minute of shooting with it until I picked up the damn d7000. Now it's the d7000 and a 35mm or 50mm where ever I go. There's something about the 7000 that lacks with the 5100, and it's not the additional buttons. There's a sense of confidence that comes with the 7000 that I didn't get from the 5100. With the 5100 you will find yourself paying attention to everything regarding the 7000. Eliminate the stress, go for the 7000 and the $200 35mm lens and don't look back.

Check out the Tamron or Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 lenses. They're good performers sharpness wise, should be within your price range, and offer a very good compromise between the range of the 18-55 VR zoom and the low light abilities of the 35/50 f/1.8 primes.

Most reactions

Back