Noobie!! Need suggestion. :)

k4nch1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey guys, I just got my SLR camera early of this year.
It's Canon Rebel XTi. My friend suggested me to get that one since i got really interested in photography.
I'm really new with SLR camera. So what's the basic knowledge that i have to know so i can maximize using the camera and creating good pictures.
And what accessories is the most important to have to start?
Thx in advance. :)

Hey guys, I just got my SLR camera early of this year.
It's Canon Rebel XTi. My friend suggested me to get that one since i got really interested in photography.
I'm really new with SLR camera. So what's the basic knowledge that i have to know so i can maximize using the camera and creating good pictures.
And what accessories is the most important to have to start?
Thx in advance. :)

the very first thing you should buy is a book called Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson. Search amazon.com for it.
the book will teach you about aperture, shutter speed, metering, and how to use all of those for setting a correct exposure.

there are numerous accessories to be purchased.....you have just acquired a very expen$ive hobby :)

things like:
filters
tripod
flashes
additional lenses
CF cards
more lenses
just to name a few

what kind of photography do you plan on doing? (ie portrait work, wildlife, general,etc).....this will help to direct you as to what accessories you will need.

i like general, potrait work.
thx for the reply. :)

i'm goin to buy as i go. I think that's kinda too much if i buy in a shot. haha. :D
Maybe start from the most important. :) Filter?.
I love to take pictures at day time for now. :)

i'm goin to buy as i go. I think that's kinda too much if i buy in a shot. haha. :D
Maybe start from the most important. :) Filter?.
I love to take pictures at day time for now. :)

ok. well prolly the 1st thing i would buy is a tiffen UV filter. this filter will also serve as a protector to keep the front element (glass) from getting dirty and/or scratched. these sell for about $15

to upgrade from your kit lens (i assume you have the 18-55mm) maybe a sigma 70-300mm apo dg f4-f5.6. now this may not be the greatest lens ever made but it would be an improvement over the kit lens and will give you greater "reach". this lens will NOT be good for low light situations (ie indoor sports, indoor shots) without ample lighting. this lens would be good for outdoor general photog, and portrait work with good lighting and will help get some decent macro shots. this sells for about $219 @ b&h

another handy lens to have is the 50mm f1.8. this is a prime lens ( meaning no zoom. the zoom is your feet) this is a very sharp lens (i own it) and is very good for portraits. being f1.8 means it is also good in low light situations. this lens sells for about $85 @ amazon.com

of course you will learn about the L series lenses.....the mother of all Canon lenses. very sharp. very fast. very expensive.

for serious portrait work you will need quite a bit of stuff and a pretty big wallet stuffed full of cash :)

one other thing you could use would be a photo editing prog.

adobe photoshop is popular here but it is expensive.

the gimp is a photo editing prog that is free and pretty decent.

just google "the gimp"

yeah i notice that. The 50mm f1.8 is another kind? i'm not sure what i got rite now. 18-55mm.

yeah i notice that. The 50mm f1.8 is another kind? i'm not sure what i got rite now. 18-55mm.

yes the 50mm f1.8 is a canon prime lens. no zoom. this is an optional lens you could purchase

ohh ok then. many thx for the suggestions.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back