Noobie reporting in! need help

I know its puzzling.

its hard to explain too, the negatives and the positives were on the same type of 'film'. It measures 4x5 out of the box, it is gloss on one side and says "Kodak" diagonally on the other side which is paper. just as you would get after developing any point and shoot camera down at the local one hour photo joint.

This film was slid into the back of the pinhole camera, exposed for a few seconds and developed in dektol, bathed in water and fixed in Kodak Fixer, then rinsed in a sink and hung to dry.

I made the positives through contact pritning with a sheet of glass and a 15 or 20 watt light bulb.

the paper backing was never removed during the process and is not removable.

as i cannot find any film like i used to work with i gave Tmax 100 a try, and using the same or similar process it always produces a crystal clear image. you can hold it up and see straight through it like clear plastic.

It does sound exactly like normal B&W printing paper.

As I mentioned in a previous post, you can use almost any enlarging paper (B&W printing paper). I used to use graded (grade 2) singleweight Ilfobrom in pinhole cameras. Just ask at the photo store for normal B&W printing paper that doesn't have the paper name on the back. The lighter weight the better. Resin coated (RC) is OK, and easy to wash and dry.

Apart from the safelight issue, TMax 100 should be OK to use. You do need to put it in the right way round, of course, but even if in the wrong way round you should have had something after a 4-minute exposure.

Best,
Helen

OK i guess this will be my last plea for help.

I got the black and white enlarging paper, and i have been experimenting with exposure times. from a few seconds to 15 minutes

all i seem to be developing is a little dot which looks oddly like a pin hole. of course the image is a negative so the dot is black. the longer the exposure time the blacker the dot.

any suggestions?

im about to throw in the towel

What is the size of the pinhole? What is the pinhole in (tinfoil)? It sounds like the pinhole is too large. Is it clear of dust? Both sides of the pinhole should be clean and clear of a burr in the foil. What is the focal length (distance from pinhole to paper)?
...Terry

pinhole was made with a regular sewing needle in smooth foil. the pinhole appears clear of dust on both sides. focal length is approximately 5 - 6 inches.

thanks

making some progress - i have aimed the camera at a 4 bulb light fixture and gave it about 30 seconds exposure just to see what would develop. - when i developed it i could see the 4 light sources of the bulbs.

trying another shot indoors with a brighter, more focused light source on the subject now

well i got an image... sort of. :)

thanks for all of your help. the developing process is working at least.

and i can -sort of - tell what i have photographed. but the image seems VERY underexposed. even after exposing for an hour in indoor lighting (typical living room)

going to experiment with sunlight tomorrow again now that i have the weekend off and will have a lot of sun!

sweet!

im sorted out. thanks for all of your suggestions and help. You have helped steer me on the right track and im getting some good shots.

thanks again everyone

I've had a lot of fun with pinhole cameras in the past. With a 5 minute exposure in bright daylight, I could take a exterior shot of a building and no people would be visible even though dozens of them passed through the scene. Sometimes they would stop and peer into the camera. I have walked into the scene and sat down on a bench for most of the exposure and then walk out to close the shutter.
...Terry

Man, piholes are sweet that way. I'll have to dig it out but I made an eight minute exposure on a homemade matchbox pinhole 35mm of a riverwalk in Downtown Milton at night with trees on one side and brick walkway and lampposts on the other. I walked through it taking a step every 15 seconds or so. Just processed it. I need to get it printed to see how it turned out.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back