NORTH GERMANY May 2008- Seriously now: maps, itinerary, prices

The whole house (well, it is two houses, in fact) are fully booked only for "us" in that one week from 24 - 31 May (that is "you", I will just stay at home, some five minutes walk from you all) ... and at some point in one of the three Germany-Meet-Up-threads I even did the calculation on how much it will be for everyone, given we fill the apartments to capacity (i.e. with all in all 18 persons). Dang... where is it, it was difficult enough to set it up at the time, I just don't want to start all over again... - my guess is it is in this thread somewhere. It is NOT wildly expensive, much to the contrary.

Post 37 in this very thread, Hertz

That's great Corinna. Thank you so much for the offer. I would be glad to accept that. More over it would be more social and allow me to know you people much bette (may be everyone will be as cool as you).

I would be eagerly waiting for the estimate as I can plan accordingly. I shall start from Chennai/Hyderabad (India) to Frankfurt. I would be glad if you can give me an estimate for what it would take from Frankfurt to your place and return including the week stay.

Thank you,
Ravi.

Post 37 copied into here:

Apartment 1: € 32.-/day/two persons
€ 6.-/day/one additional person
€ 26.- lump sum towels-bedlinen-cleaning
This Apartment is for 2 - 4 persons.
So it'd be cheapest if there actually were 4 persons there to share:
32+6+6=€ 44.-/day/all 4 = 308.-/week/all
divided by 4 = €77.-/week/person
+ lump sum € 26.- divided by four = € 6.50.-/person
= € 83.50/week/total/maximum filling.

Apartment 2: € 36.-/day/two persons
This Apartment is for 4 - 6 persons.
So it'd be cheapest if there actually were 6 persons there to share:
36+6+6+6+6=€ 60.-/day/all 6 = 420.-/week/all
divided by 6 = €70.-/week/person
+ lump sum € 26.- divided by six = € 4.35/person
= € 74.35/week/total/maximum filling.

Apartment 3: € 39.-/day/two persons
This Apartment is for 6 - 8 persons.
So it'd be cheapest if there actually were 8 persons there to share:
39+6+6+6+6+6+6=€ 75.-/day/all 8 = 525.-/week/all
divided by 8 = € 65.50.-/week/person
+ lump sum € 26.- divided by four = € 3.25.-/person
= € 68.75/week/total/maximum filling.

You can, of course, put all the costs together (assuming you will fill the homes to capacity and share everything among 18):

Apartment 1: € 308.-/week + € 26.- = € 334.-
Apartment 2: € 420.-/week + € 26.- = € 446.-
Apartment 3: € 525.-/week + € 26.- = € 551.-
.........................................Total = € 1331.- divided by 18 = € 74.-/person/week

(Accomodation only, these apartments are strictly self-catering only).

As you can see (if you can be bothered to try and follow my calculations), the accomodation costs can be brought down to € 74.-/person/week (no food included, though).

i always forget for which apartment i am planned... but costs can certainly be distributed in an uneven way. Some people like Hertz and myself are willing to do a bit of sponsoring, and others will have to pay less then, or maybe nothing in some cases.

oh, just some advise for the visa, start this all in time, also the invitation. also a phonecall from Germany to the visa issuing institution abroad can help a lot and sometimes speed things up a bit.

And keep in mind, if it is not a Schengen visa, but a visa for Germany only, then you might be in trouble if you change planes on European airports in Germany!
One of the people working for me is from Colombia, and he had a visa for Germany only when he came
for the job interview. But he had to change planes in Spain and hence ended up in a Spanish airport-prison as an illegal immigrant ;) He still likes to tell people about this adventure .. but at that time this was quite a hassle ;)

In the end, it is all up to you how you decide to divide the costs, as long as Britta gets her money for the week :D. And I did the calculations according to her price list on her homepage www.ole-hoop.de ... and hope I am right.

But now I am challenged to also make the other calculations... boy, that is going to be a bit of WORK! :D (Along with a lot of guesswork since I still don't know how many we are going to be in the end). I won't be able to do it tonight (I am a lark, not an owl, after 10 p.m. especially the part of my brain responsible for arithmetics shuts down completely ;)).

Thanks guys. I can't thank you enough for all the support.

Stay at the apartment with us, Ravi. I'll pay.
Thanks Hertz. That's very generous of you. If all my planning goes well and I end up in boarding the plane to Germany, I shall definetely stay with you.

oh, just some advise for the visa, start this all in time, also the invitation. also a phonecall from Germany to the visa issuing institution abroad can help a lot and sometimes speed things up a bit.
It's Schengen VISA that I applied. I foresaw the problem and I applied for that. Thanks for the advice.

I got everthink planned uptill Frankfurt (ofcourse it's just little commuting within my state and get aboard flight to Frankfurt). I need to plan further journey. Hope everything goes on fine.

Thank you once again guys,

regards,
Ravi.

PS: Corrinna, what happened to Mansi? Is she going to join the meet?

Mansi is in New York going to school there and she won't be able to be here for the meet-up. She'll be in the middle of doing her finals, the dates just collide... it's a pity and she would have loved to come but can't.

Most reactions

Back