Northern Lights

Really spectacular. Must be very impressive to see for real.

nicely done - I like the first one. and of course I too would like to see this some day :)

I'm hoping to see any northern lights these days (i'm thinking of going hunting for them :gun:) but i have no idea how to take pictures of it. Can you give me some starting points? I don't expect to have much time to just try things when i finally see it.

My D70 camera can go to 200-1600 iso, up to 30seconds or bulb mode(hold the button :x) with an 18-70mm lens with f3.5-4.5 and i have a tripod. I guess it should be possible to make a decent picture with that right?

(should i have made a seperate thread for this?)

Very cool. Saw them with my own eyes in Michigan's UP....couldn't believe it with my own eyes! The colors of the spectrum pulsating and flashing, so weird! Great shots!

Anybody catch them last night? They were expected to be well seen because of a giant solar flare that busted loose on Valentines Day, headed for Earth. Maybe tonight too? I don't remember...

Thanks everyone for saying all the nice things! I agree that they are much more amazing in person. My wife has been seeing them for the first time this year and that night was so amazing that she freaked out a little bit. The sky can become so bright with movement and color that it lights up the night around you and she thought that something else was going on :er:.

For anyone interested in the exposure settings, I believe those shots were ISO 800 6 sec at f 3.5. If you are at all interested in a writeup I made with a few useful links in it you can check out my aurora article.

As for the temperature of 0 F I believe it is around -17 C?

And on the topic of that solar flare, up here in Alaska the last few nights have been too cloudy and snowy! Oh well, I guess I just have to be happy with what I have seen and not wish too badly to see POSSIBLY THE BEST STORM OF MY LIFE!

Most reactions

Back