Not a gorgeous female

shortpants

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Sorry guys, you get my grouchy husband instead. :lol:

This was a quick setup, I haven't used off camera flash in years, trying to get back into it. He hates having his picture taken so this was a quick shoot around sunset, and I realize the cluttered weedy garden doesn't really suit him. Or maybe it does, because it's ours. Yes he's classy like that, smoking a cigar right next to our organic garden.
ANYWAY, I would love C&C on the lighting, anything else too in case there's something I'm not seeing.

1. just one vivitar camera left bouncing off umbrella, with the sunset backlighting him. I got a lot of haze in this one but tried to tone it down.
3a37ac81.jpg

2. from my deck, same flash setup on the left with umbrella, plus another behind him and to his right, bare. In complete shade, the sun went behind the trees.
d3affc3f.jpg

Now rip at them please.

Hmm, I guess a gorgeous female would have been better :lol:

I would have used a reflector on the fill side to rid the shadow from the arm. A white reflector will not be as harsh as a silver one. Backlighting is cool, just enough.
-
Shoot well and thanks for sharing, Joe

I actually thought the haze looked cool in the first picture. With the back lighting and haze it gives it a nice soft ethereal look.
The second one doesn't do anything for me, sorry. Interesting angle but other than that... not much to say.

I am glad it is not a gorgeous female because I think the hairy arms would have distracted me away from her form. ;)

Thanks for commenting. I knew I should have had some fill but I was being lazy.
I agree #2 is pretty blah. I do like the lighting in #1 but it's not telling a story. I was just doing a quick test, but I'd still like to shoot a good environmental portrait of him.

I hope you're laughing at my humor and not my pictures!

Well I take offense to being laughed at because I'm vertically challenged.
:p

Most reactions

New Topics

Back