Not a photographer, need a camera.

Evvie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello all. I'm not a photographer, but due to my line of work I'm finding myself in need of a high quality camera. My budget is $700, but I am worried about spending money on features I don't need. I have dabbled in crappy point-and-shoot cameras for some time and would be happier with something slightly more sexy. I'm trying to figure out what a good balance would be between 'nice camera' and 'you'll never figure out what this thing here does'. When I've asked around, the only thing I've heard is go for digital SLR.

As far as subject matter, it is primarily portraiture and people (the term 'glamour shots' seems appropriate).

For someone who knows nothing about cameras, does anyone have a place for me to start?

Also I apologize in advance for what may be terrible terminology.

Well. What exactly is your experience? Do you plan on doing it for fun or plan on going in to business?

On this forum every one is going to push Nikon and Canon, but there are tons of options.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

Honestly the best way is to go to your nearest camera store and have a look and a feel of their cameras. That way you can see which one "feels" comfortable and seems easy enough to understand and operate most here will tell you that you should go for an entry level dslr. they are superior to point & shoot cameras as they have a larger sensor and they will also deal with lower light situations a lot better with the right lens. a good cheap lense is the 50mm 1.8f it will be a good little lens for portraits. ;)

I admit I am not entirely sure of the rules of the forum, so I'm trying to be delicate -_-. I am a 'webcam model' and I produce my own content as well of some content for my colleagues. So essentially yes, it is professional work. Most models produce sets of stills for sale. At the moment the only camera I have access to is a Logitech 9000 webcam, and yes, it takes horrible photos.

I have a great deal of post-production experience and some professional and casual photography experience. I would be very happy with a high-end camera, but I'm just not sure I need everything one can offer.

@Rokvi, I am gearing up to head down to the shop and see what they have. I just don't want to get attached to something that I don't need and I really have 0 idea of what I should be looking for.

I admit I am not entirely sure of the rules of the forum, so I'm trying to be delicate -_-. I am a 'webcam model' and I produce my own content as well of some content for my colleagues. So essentially yes, it is professional work. Most models produce sets of stills for sale. At the moment the only camera I have access to is a Logitech 9000 webcam, and yes, it takes horrible photos.

I have a great deal of post-production experience and some professional and casual photography experience. I would be very happy with a high-end camera, but I'm just not sure I need everything one can offer.

D70s+35mm 1.8G

This should be all you need. I'm not exactly sure but I've done shoots with girls "related" to your profession (I think, I don't want to make too many assumptions) and as long as you can figure out how to use the self timer and the basics about photography you should be fine with this set up. Get a tripod too.

If your trying to do photo sets you need more than a camera. You want fast lenses and lighting too. Send me a message and ill link you some good sets of products.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

D70s+35mm 1.8G

This should be all you need. I'm not exactly sure but I've done shoots with girls "related" to your profession (I think, I don't want to make too many assumptions) and as long as you can figure out how to use the self timer and the basics about photography you should be fine with this set up. Get a tripod too.

Thank you Nickzou. I take no shame in my nubbiness: Am I to understand that is a Nikon D70s with a 35mm/1.8g lens?

In regards to the D70s, is it the sort of camera that, with proper focus, can show in horrifying detail someone's pores? I'm not entirely sure why but the popular thing these days seems to be extremely clear and crisp photos.

Thank you Nickzou. I take no shame in my nubbiness: Am I to understand that is a Nikon D70s with a 35mm/1.8g lens?

In regards to the D70s, is it the sort of camera that, with proper focus, can show in horrifying detail someone's pores? I'm not entirely sure why but the popular thing these days seems to be extremely clear and crisp photos.

Yeah that's exactly right. It will be super crisp with the right focus but if you don't want to spend time retouching the photos what you can do is resize the images for the web, it will obscure a lot of those finer details. It's why I thought the D70s would be a fine camera for you, it's not super high resolution but I get the feeling that's not what you want anyways.

Something you may also want to look into is one of these remote shutter releases. I own one and it has performed beyond my expectations.

The "Why" you may need this: It allows you to set how many photos your camera will take on its own, the amount of time/delay between photos, and the amount of initial delay after you hit "Start" before the first shot is taken. You mentioned you wanted to produce photo sets for your work. This would allow you to set up your camera on a tripod/table/something, hit a few buttons on the remote, hit "Start" and then get into position and do your thing.

Anyways, just something to think about! Good luck

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

@Rokvi, I am gearing up to head down to the shop and see what they have. I just don't want to get attached to something that I don't need and I really have 0 idea of what I should be looking for.

With your experience in post, skin pours should not be a problem, its the eyes you mainly want to get in crisp focus.
Then post some here for C&C abiding by the rules of course. ;)

Last edited:
The 35mm 1.8 will have distortion when shooting a person within a couple feet, not sure if thats applicable. It is sharp though, and one of my primary lenses.

Most reactions

Back