not accurate colors, mark III 5D

Correct, i would want all features shown, polished metals/satin finish. constant lighting wouldn't achieve that my guess would be speedlight?

here is an example $London-Luxury-watches-photographer.jpg

Last edited:
Your camera’s Auto white balance setting is great for general subjects, but strong colours can fool it. It can also be difficult to match the white balance presets to the conditions you’re shooting in. In these situations, you can use a Preset Manual (Nikon) or Custom white balance (Canon) setting to get colour spot on.
w.png

yeah definitely, here's an example $DSC_6308.jpg $225,000.00

p.s. 12k for a watch, good lord
In the world of luxury watches, that's cheap. You should check out Harry Tans website, Watching Horology: He photographs luxury watches that could easily buy a nice middle class home around here. Insane, but beautiful.

I understand cars, boats, mansions and women because they all can do something exciting. Watches tell time, you can get that for free.

lol not at all, its an investment, today is 225k in 10 years its 500k, people buy properties for that much to make investment, i rather put a watch in a safe for 10 years than to have a house that accumulates damages and repairs in those 10 years. not to mention property tax. but that saying is not for all watche. some will devalue.

Correct, i would want all features shown, polished metals/satin finish. constant lighting wouldn't achieve that my guess would be speedlight?

here is an example View attachment 73166
No. It's not what light you use that matters in that aspect, it's how you modify the light. Lightboxes create soft, omnidirectional light that fills in the small scratches from a brushed finish, making it harder to see. It makes brushed stainless and polished stainless look much closer in texture than they really are. For a photograph, you need to be able to accentuate that difference in texture to really convey that they are different. You can have soft light that still has enough direction to show texture and fine detail simply by lighting from one side. Post work in Ps will help to bring out the detail as well. A simple high pass layer or inverted surface blur layer will help to bring out the texture of brushed surfaces. Proper positioning of the light and reflectors will also allow you to shoot a watch without getting the glare on the crystal, giving you a crisper watch face. Of course, you still need to get your exposure and colors right. ;)

yeah definitely, here's an example View attachment 73168 $225,000.00

frankly you'd have to be an ass of monumental proportion to pay that much for a watch.
It's all relative. When you make 100k a year, a 225k watch is insane. When you make 100million a year, a 225k watch is pocket change. Beyond that, many of these are one off, hand crafted works of mechanical art which appeal to the inner gearhead of the uber rich.

lol thats true.

It's all relative. When you make 100k a year, a 225k watch is insane. When you make 100million a year, a 225k watch is pocket change. Beyond that, many of these are one off, hand crafted works of mechanical art which appeal to the inner gearhead of the uber rich.

I understand the idea of scale, what I don't get is why not buy a Ferrari?

And you know what, the clock inside a ferrari is just as good at telling time.

I understand the idea of scale, what I don't get is why not buy a Ferrari?

And you know what, the clock inside a ferrari is just as good at telling time.
The problem here is that you're thinking like someone with a limited budget. ;) For you it's an either or equation, for them it isn't. For the clientele that buy goods like that watch, there's no consideration given to alternative purchases; if they want it they buy it. Simple as that. Oftentimes it's not a matter of if they can afford it (because they can) it's a matter of having something exclusive to them. Something only they can own. That's why you see these "biggest yacht" competitions amongst the super rich. It's why they buy sports franchises even if they have no experience with them. It's why they'll pay a million dollars for an antique car with a unique pedigree. It's an exclusive showpiece. Why spend a million dollars on a Buggati? Because you can, and very few others can. It has a level of exclusivity that few other cars do.

It's why people buy the Hasselblad Luna. :lol: I remember being at Amelia Island one year and talking with a guy who was using a then new Hasssy H4D for a point and shoot. He didn't know anything about photography, but he knew Hassy was "the best" so that's what he got.

ferrari requires storage/ maintenance. you cant just put a ferrari in a garage and leave it alone. it needs to be driven. and the ferrari's that your going to make investment on they are usually for special ferrari clientele. you cant go and buy them, it has to be offerred to you to buy it, and good luck getting an offer. you gotta be VIP. it also matters on who you are, some people buy 100 million dollar paintings that you'll look at once and get bored. go figure.

ferrari requires storage/ maintenance. you cant just put a ferrari in a garage and leave it alone. it needs to be driven. and the ferrari's that your going to make investment on they are usually for special ferrari clientele. you cant go and buy them, it has to be offerred to you to buy it, and good luck getting an offer. you gotta be VIP.

Eat the rich!

Most reactions

Back