Not being shy

JoshuaSimPhotography

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a DSLR, but I’m only 13, I know as much about photography than the next guy. But I always get looks from people thinking that I don’t deserve the camera, it was just a waste of money. Even my own siblings think that!
Can anyone help me with approaching people, how not to be shy when taking their photo? Or photographical ethic, what’s the nicest thing or rudest thing to do?

Thanks!
JoshuaSimPhotgraphy

There isn't any big secret really; you just gotta get used to the fact that people will be jealous. Through your life you'll always encounter people who have envy over what you have and heck chances are you'll be jealous over some of the other things people have. Best to just let it slide past you and get on with doing what you're doing - which with a camera is taking photos.

In time, and with practice, I'm sure that you'll be able to silence some of them with the photos you take as well

In addition to what Overread said it's going to take some time for them to get used to you. Maybe by the time you're old and gray they'll be over it. ;)

Really, the best thing to do is to think about the things in your life that you can be happy about and then BE happy about them.

If you find that there isn't enough for you to be happy about then go make somebody else happy and be happy about that.

It works every time.

I have a DSLR, but I’m only 13, I know as much about photography than the next guy. But I always get looks from people thinking that I don’t deserve the camera, it was just a waste of money. Even my own siblings think that!
Can anyone help me with approaching people, how not to be shy when taking their photo? Or photographical ethic, what’s the nicest thing or rudest thing to do?

Thanks!
JoshuaSimPhotgraphy

If you have your camera with you, just let it hang on the strap, preferably at your side, not in front. Especially don't approach someone with the camera held "at the ready" with your finger on the shutter button.

Just be friendly without being agressively so. Relax and smile, and begin the inquiry with something as innocuous as simply introducing yourself, say your name, without asking them theirs just yet.

If they acquiecse, just get about your business, without any effusiveness on your part. Be as professional as you can be, and make it happen as quickly as you can, while still getting the shot you want.

Be sure to thank them, and if you have any idea that you might sell the photo, then get a model's release. Or if you know the person, you can get a model's release later.

Then leave, or resume what you were doing. Do not assume that they now want to become your friend.

If they start asking questions about your photographic abilities or experience, have some plausible but fairly pat answers ready so that they don't start questioning your ability. This includes questions about how you can afford such a camera. I don't mean to imply that you should blow them off completely, but you just need to cut the conversation if it begins to go in that direction.

As you do this more times, you will overcome your shyness, so keep at it.

I'm not completely comfortable taking a stranger's shot, but I try my hand at it whenever I have the chance. That's the only way to overcome the fear.
But street photography is all about taking their picture without asking permission, to get candid expressions and capture their true nature.

The more you do it, the easier it will become :)

Thankyou so much guys! These tips will really help with my photography! Thanks for really taking your time!
:)

Don't worry about siblings, you'll all laugh yrs from now!If you think people are looking at your camera and "thinking how can he afford..." if you are making eye contact, just say 'gift from my parents/g'pa for xyz... " or ' I saved for a year to get this, I am going to be a photographer..."They will suddenly become quite impressed with you !I also think your age/physical appearance right now, will help. You are not 'threatening ', so to speak. If you were a 50-60 yr old man taking pictures of kids at aPark, someone might call the police! With the economy the last 5 yrs, people are probably jealous of your camera equipment, congrats and enjoy it!Nancy

Most reactions

Back