Not so disapointed now.

Ron Evers

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
In the country 60km north of Toronto, Canada
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The first time I took out my new-to-me Vivitar 20mm f3.8 I was very disappointed in the image quality it rendered. This lens has a bulbous front element & it seemed easily subject to flare but when not facing the light it still seemed like pics taken through a window. I suspected it was the result of veiling. I received a petal hood for it this week & went out yesterday to the farmers market where I first tried the lens & now with the hood I am much happier with the rendering of the lens. Here are samples with the hood on:

P1070881sm.jpg

P1070882sm.jpg

P1070883sm.jpg

P1070884sm.jpg

Lens has ALOT of Chromatic Aberration, Maybe try the lens with a 2 Step down exposure. Seems like the shadows have less then the Highlight

Last edited:
Chromatic Abrasion...I like that!!!

Lens has ALOT of Chromatic Aberration, Maybe try the lens with a 2 Step down exposure. Seems like the shadows have less then the Highlight

I am not seeing it, I thought I knew what to look for but maybe not. Could you point out a specific spot in one of the frames for me to see?

#3 I see it the most on the woman in brown on the left, From the top of her head Left side all the way down and even on the tent poll shadows.

you may need to calibrate your monitor. its a pain in the ass but helps alot i use 1920*1080 resolution calibrated to a wb modified adobe rgb and cmyklmlc and a nvidia gtx550 video card with dual monitors

Your pictures are overall fine, its just when I look at those points I notice eye strain.

I'm not really seeing any CA, not at this size anyway... Maybe a little in places you would expect it to be the most pronounced - like the edges of the rooftops against the sky (on #2)... But even there, it's hard to tell at web size.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back