not sure about framing

mmaria

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The weather was dull, grass was dead, nothing interesting to involve her in.
She is taller than me and I couldn't get a shot without her head in the sky and mountains were behind the rest of her body. Don't like horizon lines intersecting with people's heads. After some tries I gave up until I saw some "benches and table with roof"- don't know English word for that wooden construction. Anyway, I climbed and framed her.

Give me some thoughts

16-Large-834x560.jpg

Last edited:
I like it; particularly how her head is at an able that matches the framing at top-right. I think it may have been a better had she been a little further from the framing (standing about where her shadow is).

I sometimes call this a peek-a-boo composition. It's not too bad, but it's not stellar either. Somewhere in between awful and superb. I agree with snowbear--it would look better if she were a bit more toward the center of the frame. Not by a lot, but a little.

I like it; particularly how her head is at an able that matches the framing at top-right. I think it may have been a better had she been a little further from the framing (standing about where her shadow is).

I sometimes call this a peek-a-boo composition. It's not too bad, but it's not stellar either. Somewhere in between awful and superb. I agree with snowbear--it would look better if she were a bit more toward the center of the frame. Not by a lot, but a little.

Yeah, I get what you're saying. Maybe when I have time I'll move her a bit in ps.

But I don't get where the photo stands or in what direction is going? bad direction or good direction? :)

Last edited:
I feel all the lines in the image are pulling my attention to the upper left side which is empty. I think cropping out some of that dead space would help put the focus back on your friend.

I feel all the lines in the image are pulling my attention to the upper left side which is empty. I think cropping out some of that dead space would help put the focus back on your friend.
I see what you mean, I understand.

If I crop then I would loose that framing. That upper left side is lighter and empty as you said. I can't change emptiness but I can darken a bit.

How about just a slight crop change? I just cropped out a little of the left lower corner and some of the left "tail"

$16-Large-834x560a.jpg

Last edited:
I agree with snowbear. Nice shot!

How about just a slight crop change? I just cropped out a little of the left lower corner and some of the left "tail"
Yeah, I tried that but then I lose that left bottom corner that implies some kind of frame, there when you see a bit of grass.

I agree with snowbear. Nice shot!

Oh, glad you like it. She likes it very much. It's casual, non posed and she likes her there. I decided it's a keeper. :)

Thanks to all of you!

For me, the quality, direction of the light, and the exposure value (I estimate 1 stop (EV) under exposed) diminish the quality of the photograph overall.
Since the woman would seem to be the intended main subject, her small scale (visual weight) in the image the horizontal framing provides also weakens the photograph.

If she had been positioned closer to the camera you could have had her feet were closer to the bottom of the frame, and she would have had more visual weight (scale) in the frame.
You could have also lowered the camera perspective some to include enough of the bottom angled whatever it is to allow using the vertical camera orientation.

I agree that cropping some off the left side of the frame is warranted to both add some scale to her, and adjust her position in the frame somewhat closer to the right RoT (rule of thirds) vertical the crop would move.
Cropping would also eliminate some of the distracting background elements like the bushes and trees.

Here is the photo with some of the left side cropped away, and with 1 EV of exposure added:
16-Large-834x560Edit.jpg

The last one is about perfect. What i would suggest is why don't you try adding a li'l touch of warmify for the grass that will add volumes to it.

A camera freak, eager to learn more about the latest cameras

ok, you got me :)

When I decided to keep it I reedited it also.

I certainly couldn't shot straight because I was standing on a bench and that frame is a part of wooden roof construction :) I agree that she could be closer.

Here's uncropped version or how did I shot it

$withoutcrop (Large).jpg

here is suggested crop

$withcrop.jpg

Most reactions

Back