Not Sure How I Feel...

Vinnie90

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Yeah, not too sure how I feel about this, I like it, and then I don't. Lighting was bad but I can deal with it. Also the photo has not been touched.

3725209041_623f3dba9a_b.jpg

I know How I feel. It needs work. Your comp is bad. Contrast is not good. Needs more of it.
No Clear subject. The list goes on. Sorry my friend. Just keep shooting. You will improve with time.

I would have to agree, the image has potential if it was shot correctly, you could touch it up though you might not be bale to do much.

I see someone sitting between the rocks, is there someone there or are my eye playing tricks on me?

Edit: Never mind I'm not crazy there is someone there. haha

I know How I feel. It needs work. Your comp is bad. Contrast is not good. Needs more of it.
No Clear subject. The list goes on. Sorry my friend. Just keep shooting. You will improve with time.

Well said, no point in beating about the bush. For a shot like this you generally need the foreground to be in focus to lead the eye in, so you'll need a bigger f-stop.

I don't think it is such a bad effort as people above tend to say. Of course this picture has flaws but let's try to identify them and be more constructive.

Composition: as said, it is hard to identify the subject in the shot (mainly because the out of focus rocks in the foreground and the landscape in the background are competing for the viewer's attention). Is it the whole landscape, the rocks in the foreground, the tiny person sitting between the rocks? If your subject is the whole scene it might work better if the rocks in the foreground were in focus with the rest of the scene. To achieve that you need more depth of field. This can be achieved by using a smaller aperture (higher f number) and using hyperfocal focussing (Google depth of field and hyperfocal distance if you don't know what I am talking about). Maybe you could try a slightly different viewpoint so that the rocks in the foreground don't appear so big. On a positive note, the person gives a real sense of scale to the landscape and I think it was a great idea to include him/her in this shot.

Contrast: your image lacks contrast (it mainly consists of grey tones, no blacks, no whites). Often, pictures are more appealing when they have a wider range of tones (more contrast). The lack of contrast may be due to several reasons: poor exposure, poor development/printing (if you shoot film), poor black and white conversion (if you shoot digital). Read a book about the basics of photography to understand a bit more about exposure (if you don't know the basics already). Any book about darkroom techniques will address any issue with lack of contrast due to bad development/printing (if you shoot film). Google is your friend to find tutorials on how to convert a colour image to B&W efficiently (if you shoot digital).

Those are the 2 main issues. To me the list does not go on. It is a good effort and with practice you'll get better results. Keep shooting.

My first two thoughts when seeing your photo were, it needs more contrast and the focus is off....well, Steph said it perfectly and there's really nothing I can add. ;) Keep shooting.

i think not many people noticed the lady in between the rocks...
clear.gif

I didn't until someone mentioned it, made me like the photo a little better but needs some cropping, at a minimum.

I noticed her right away...I actually think the only thing that needs to be changed here is the crop job and the white levels. It might be interesting to try a "strip crop" where the two mountains make up the frame, and the lady is in the lower third of the photo.

For future viewers...photography isn't simply about natural physics...we humans have the capacity to look for things...so we should. Just because we don't catch the intended subject at a glimpse doesn't mean the composition is BAD..it just means it's irregular.

Thank you to everyone for their input, whether good or bad, all is appreciated. :thumbup:

Most reactions

Back