Not sure what to get next..

BradSut26

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
im saving for a new lens. i have the kit lens that came with my camera and a 55-200mm lens also. but im not sure if i want to buy a wide angle or super telephoto lens next? any help? or ideas? thanks

always start with 50mm prime. You will learn a lot from using that.

Nikon?

I love wide angle lenses, but you may not have a use for one. It depends on what you like to shoot really.

i have a Nikon D3100. and i really like to shoot anything so far. right now High school sports since i cant travel much. but anything that catches my eye. im not sure if i want a wide angle or not since i dont see a point in having one if i have no good landscapes to shoot?

This is a choice you have to take the first step in. You can't choose the next lens based on what other people felt was right for them and their budget - case in point I've never bought a 50mm f1.8 lens and if I had it would probably have an inch of dust on it right now from lack of use.

So you have to work out if you feel that you need a wider or longer lens. You might end up not feeling that you need either so then you could turn your mind to considering other options such as flash or a good tripod - maybe consider upgrading your current lenses to something higher up the pecking order.

All in all you've got to make that first step of choosing what it is that is technically limiting your photography and then you can start to do some market research and make a choice.

i have a Nikon D3100. and i really like to shoot anything so far. right now High school sports since i cant travel much. but anything that catches my eye. im not sure if i want a wide angle or not since i dont see a point in having one if i have no good landscapes to shoot?
Well I find a wide angle lens useful for just about everything. From architecture to creative portraits.
But if you mainly shoot sports, you're going to want something with reach.

For shooting high school sports with a D3100 I'd start with a Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8.

Most reactions

Back