Not working.

mrredline05

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So im turing to the forums for help. I was recently on deployment when i bought my new Sony A55. The camera was working good then i did a re-enlistment in a helo and took my sony with me, now the camera will not take any short of picture or movie in auto focus. The motor will not turn, focus or snap a picture. It does how every work in manual focus. I have no idea what happened and was hoping someone had some sort of an answer.

did you try different lens?

I am completely sony illiterate, so if I sound stupid sometimes-I am.
Is there an in camera auto focus setting for Sony?
Have you switched the auto focus/manual focus switch on and off to be sure it's in the proper position?
Is this with one lens or with any lens you use?

Schwettylens-I have tired all my lens and all the same out come.

MLeeK- Ha, its alright. Sony does have an auto/manual switch on the outside of the camera. I have tired switching it back and forth with no different results. I've messed around with it some cause it seems to get stuck sometimes in the auto position, but still won't let me snap a picture in auto. The shutter won't even release.

YOu have two places to set auto focus. On this camera it is possible to have a conflict, you can have auto focus on the camera body on, but check to see if your lens is one that also has a focus selection button. The lens one should override the camera setting, should... but hey, it's a possibility??

Try resetting the camera to the default factory settings, page 156 in the manual. If you don't have the manual with you here's a link to a pdf file for the manual.
http://www.docs.sony.com/release/SLTA33.pdf

If the above does not work is there anything left on the warranty? I would send it back for repair if it's still under warranty.

Good luck

ill try the reset and see if anything happens. The only lens i have that has its own focus switch is my Sony DT55-200. I tried that but still no luck. LIke i said ill try and factory reset.

Yes the camera is only a few months old. Only problem is i bought it at the Navy exchange in Bahrain like 4 months ago and being on deployment i lost or misplaced the receipt :(.

and something i just realized that i forgot was when its in auto focus and i try to take a picture the screen so black and gives me an "Camera Error", and doesn't go away unless i turn it off then back on.

Clean the contacts on the camera and on the lens. Be sure the lens is turning and clicking all of the way into place. Otherwise? It needs serviced.
Did you purchase it on a credit card or your bank card?

Sounds like the aperture communication between lens and camera isn't working properly. Agreed, clean the contacts. If it doesn't work then it definitely needs service in my opinion.

Ill go and give that a shot, and it was bought on a CC.

Get the credit card transaction record and that will serve as your receipt.

didn't think of that. Also i just played with the camera and its so funny, its focuses while shooting a movie, but still won't take a picture in auto. I mean its a slow focus, but non the less a focus. Im not sure what it could be.

Also contacts cleaned and nothing new :(

Last edited:
time for servicing on the camera. Thank you for your service in the Armed Forces. I have a cousin who just got back this year after doing a 1yr stint and a past relative who was in during Korean conflict.

yeah, ill have to give sony a call sometime to see if they will fix it, and thank you :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back