Not your standard monitor inquiry....

frXnz kafka

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So the new thing on the consumer display market is LED backlighting. My question is: Is an LED backlit TN display any better or worse than just a regular TN display?

I assume viewing angles would still be problematic, but certainly the backlighting would be more even, no?

Depends on the monitor :)

Well I just moved from my CRT to this LCD and, they have improved quite a bit. I picked up the 22" LG and, am pretty happy with its resolution and color rendition. It has a fairly good viewing angle but, still not on par with my old CRT.

A TN is a TN. The problem with them never was the backlight. The new LEDs can in theory provide a more neutral white and more even backlight, but ... It's a TN display, which means that the company producing it is penny pinching and not trying to produce a quality product.

I'd bet that the LED screens would be thinner, lighter, more evenly backlit, but still absolutely crap 6bit displays with average to poor viewing angles associated with the TN panel.

As a side point NEC's top of the range multisync SpectraView monitor is an LED screen with the feature that you can adjust the colour temperature of the backlight, not the colour temperature of the LCD panel itself (which would increase your colour error slightly).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back