Nothing PLeases Me

IDLaxStar

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
When I am looking at other peoples work. I am never impressed with hardly any of it. There are very few pieces that I look at and would be happy with if it were my own work. I don't know why I am so critical of things now a days but I just don't like anything these days. I will be looking through the comments and everyone will be saying of awesome a photo is and to me it looks like crap. I didn't use to be like this though, I have only noticed it with in the last month or so. Maybe I am just depressed right now but I hope this doesn't continue because then I will never be happy with my own results.

Maybe you're developing some standards? Possibly you've gotten to the point where, like in that old Bruce Springsteen song, you feel as if there are, "500 channels, and nothing on." Know what I mean?

Yeah, I think the big thing for me is sharpness in pictures. If a picture isn't sharp as a tack I don't like it at all.

Could just be the winter blues or a frustraition over your own photography appearing as you view others.

I'd say best thing to do is not to just look and say "meh I don't like it" - instead ask yourself specifically why you don't like it. Start at the basics and write down (yes write, don't just think, writing helps organise your mind and thoughts far better) the points you don't like. They don't have to be big or small points - just work out what they are.

Then try to work out why the bits might be in the shots - is it a failing of the photographer; a limitation of the gear/lighting etc..... This is helping to put context to your critical thoughts - not every critical point you'll think of will be a point that can be avoided and its as best you study and learn these (part of it is understanding that there is no such thing as a "perfect" shot).

Finally with all that done you've now come to understand your own changing appreciation for photography and also made a move to understand the why of those negative points.

Ps you don't have to post your thoughts on the photo itself (where-ever it maybe) and should you do so you should remember to edit your thoughts to ensure that they remain respectful and constructive and not just a list of your thoughts on their faults. This is extending your possible learning since conversation with the photographer might bring out more info as to the possible causes of the problems. Of course always choose where and when to give crits carefully (ie make sure that your audience (the photographer) wants to get crits)

Thanks for the advice overread. I do totally just look at a picture and say I don't like it. Thats literally what I say to myself haha. But I will try and actually think about what I don't like about a picture and possibly write it down, but I am not much of a writer haha sorry. But we will see.

When was the last time you went to an art museum and just admired the art? Not disected it, just admired it? When was the last time you picked up an old copy of Life magazine and just enjoyed the images and the stories they told? Or picked up a coffee table book of photographs and just got lost in the imagry?

A critique is as much about finding the things that work in a photo as it is about nit picking it's failures, and to do that well you first have to understand what the image is al about. Whites get blown, focus gets soft... Does that mean the photographer is technically inept or maybe you just haven't digested the image and don't really get it. Too busy cursing at the trees to see the forest, as the cliche goes. I see a lot of critique here that just completely misses the point.

Rules serve a purpose. If you're a wedding photographer or advertising photographer those rules become very important. Creativity and artistry are important, but secondary to the goal of the shoot. So is it fair to judge ALL photos by those standards? It's important to remember that rules also lead to formulaic, generic imagry. Being mindful of the rules is one thing, being bound by then is another.

Images should succeed or fail based on whether they are interesting to look at, whether they draw attention, intrigue, challenge, or enlighten, not on whether they follow the rules. That's putting the cart before the horse. The rules allow us the insight into why the image succeeds or fails, but should not define it.

It's alot like the Blues. Musically, its the imperfections that make it interesting and generate the emotion and power. It's personal and raw. You have to appreciate the imperfections before you can really understand it.

ok... rant over........

:sexywink:

When I am looking at other peoples work. I am never impressed with hardly any of it. There are very few pieces that I look at and would be happy with if it were my own work.
So continue to look at similar work. Case closed. You owe me hundred dollah.

I don't know why I am so critical of things now a days but I just don't like anything these days. I will be looking through the comments and everyone will be saying of awesome a photo is and to me it looks like crap.
Developing a preferred aesthetic? Not a bad thing at all. I prefer Winogrand to Walker Evans, the 1960's to the 1930's.

I didn't use to be like this though, I have only noticed it with in the last month or so. Maybe I am just depressed right now but I hope this doesn't continue because then I will never be happy with my own results.
Always good to be displeased with your work. Not to the point that you give up on it entirely, but enough that it pushes you into new and challenging directions.

Camelion, I actually have gone to an art studio lately, about a month ago and there were some stuff that I thought were really interesting but a lot of crap. At least to me. I felt that I could have made 3/4 the stuff in there.
I also know that because a photo is soft or something that it isn't a bad photo, but that is how I see it. I don't like it but I can't help myself from just looking at a picture and disliking it. I think if I look more into pictures this will change. I guess we will see.

Camelion, I actually have gone to an art studio lately, about a month ago and there were some stuff that I thought were really interesting but a lot of crap. At least to me. I felt that I could have made 3/4 the stuff in there.

There is a huge difference between "making" and "reproducing".

I could reproduce a lot of images, but I lack the creativity to make them originally... This is where I focus my education.

p!nK

Maybe you don't know what to look for, or what you're looking at even. Maybe you're looking in the wrong place for photo inspiration, I mean if you can't find anything pleasing, then maybe you should take a step back and evaluate your photographic vision.

I think it's important to be able to simply enjoy an artform for the sake of simply enjoying it. I also think that sometimes that's far simpler said than done. The more you understand about the process, the more the process distracts you from the art itself. Happens with musicians too... especially guitar players. They get so caught up in disecting technique they loose touch with the music part of it and can't just sit back and listen anymore.

Looking at a photo critically is important to progressing. To be able to take an image apart and is key to learning. But it's also importand not to let that technical side of the brain become dominate, because at some point it all begins to become dry and lusterless. The beauty of it gets lost in little blemishes and details.

That's why I think it's so important to learn to appreciate art just for the sake of it and never loose that feeling of just simply reacting to it on a gut level.

Last edited:
There is a huge difference between "making" and "reproducing".

I could reproduce a lot of images, but I lack the creativity to make them originally... This is where I focus my education.
Thats a very good point, but still some of the stuff in there was not impressive at all. But I do need to work on my creativity a lot because like you said I could reproduce some of that stuff but I couldn't think it up in the first place. But honestly some of the stuff I could. I am not being cocky here or anything but some of the stuff was not good at all. Half the stuff on here is better then some of the images I saw in there.

Maybe you don't know what to look for, or what you're looking at even. Maybe you're looking in the wrong place for photo inspiration, I mean if you can't find anything pleasing, then maybe you should take a step back and evaluate your photographic vision.
I find some stuff good but thats only the top top stuff I see. Like what was earlier said I can't just look at an image and say its crap just because it isn't sharp or something. I need to look more into pictures and such.
I think it's important to be able to simply enjoy an artform for the sake of simply enjoying it. I also think that sometimes that's far simpler said than done. The more you understand about the process, the more the process distracts you from the art itself. Happens with musicians too... especially guitar players. They get so caught up in disecting technique they loose touch with the music part of it and can't just sit back and listen anymore.

Looking at a photo critically is important to progressing. To be able to take an image apart and is key to learning. But it's also importand not to let that technical side of the brain become dominate, because at some point it all begins to become dry and lusterless. The beauty of it gets lost in little blemishes and details.

That's why I think it's so important to learn to appreciate art just for the sake of it and never loose that feeling of just simply reacting to it on a gut level.
Thanks for the great advice. This is a really good point. I will try to appreciate things just for how they are and always get into the technical stuff like composition or exposure or focus and such.

An artist is NEVER happy with their own work, as soon as you say 'yep this is awesome' about yourself, you stagnate.

However, never thinking anything is at least 'OK' even about others could just mean you need a break, too much input can dilute the wow factor a lot.

Most reactions

Back