Noticed my first dust/oil on my D600. long exposed city photo inside

pab

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just recently I did a shoot of the burgh. After I got to editing some of the photos, I noticed on one of them clear as possible the dust or oil on my photos.

Left top/bottom and now the center. you can see the spots there. no editing to photo straight from camera.

I shot about 100 or so, but only about 6 or so was visible. Thinking about getting it cleaned, the instructions explain how to do the self cleaning, should I try that first or send it back.

Thanks!

I would send it back as Nikon already acknowledged the problem, you can still learn how to clean it afterward, You may need to anyways!

Dust spots on your sensor is just a part of life with a dSLR. I HEAL them out until they start driving me nuts and then I clean the sensor.

If it's oil, send it back; if it's dust, clean it yourself, as I very much doubt Nikon will cover that under warranty since it's considered a normal result of use.

If you bought it from a local 'camera'* store you may want to check with them. My local camera shop has been offering to clean D600 sensors on camera's they've sold... Thats why i always buy my bodys from them.

*by 'camera' i mean a REAL camera store... not BestBuy :)

Dust spots on your sensor is just a part of life with a dSLR. I HEAL them out until they start driving me nuts and then I clean the sensor.

Thats okay till there are like 65-70+ of them and then if I want to attempt an HDR I then have to multiply this number by 3 or even 5...

If you bought it from a local 'camera'* store you may want to check with them. My local camera shop has been offering to clean D600 sensors on camera's they've sold... Thats why i always buy my bodys from them.

*by 'camera' i mean a REAL camera store... not BestBuy :)

Yea, I bought mine almost the day it came out on Amazon. The showroom killer. Saved a couple hundred bucks on tax, did not have to pay shipping and had it the next day, and did not have to leave my house. I think I will do what others say and allow Nikon to handle it. Unfortunately this is the only flaw I have with the camera. I can live with it if thats all. I would like to pick up a D700 though I could find one on the cheap side used/refurbed..

Y'all are fergetin' about a Dust Reference Photo.........

On a gray photo? Not sure how they take em. Is that what your talking about?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

On a gray photo? Not sure how they take em. Is that what your talking about?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

See page 251 of the instruction manual

Sent from a Cherry Bomb via my right hand.

Not sure if he was being sarcastic about the page 251 I dont have the book anymore but I know people showed gray photos and they were great for viewing the dust/oil

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

You can download the .PDF version of the manual from Nikons' website. I suggest everyone obtain the electronic versions of ALL their manuals and have them on their computers, smart devices, etc.

Acquire reference data for the Image Dust Off option in Capture NX 2 (available
separately; for more information, see the Capture NX 2 manual).
Image Dust Off ref photo is available only when a CPU lens is mounted on the
camera. A non-DX lens with a focal length of at least 50 mm is recommended. When
using a zoom lens, zoom all the way in.
1Choose a start option.
Highlight one of the following options and press
J. To exit without acquiring image dust off data,
press G.
• Start: The message shown at right will be
displayed and “rEF” will appear in the
viewfinder and control panel displays.
• Clean sensor and then start: Select this option to
clean the image sensor before starting. The
message shown at right will be displayed and
“rEF” will appear in the viewfinder and control
panel displays when cleaning is complete.
2Frame a featureless white object in the viewfinder.
With the lens about ten centimeters (four inches) from a well-lit, featureless
white object, frame the object so that it fills the viewfinder and then press the
shutter-release button halfway.
In autofocus mode, focus will automatically be set to infinity; in manual focus
mode, set focus to infinity manually.
Image Dust Off Ref Photo Gbutton➜Bsetup menu
3Acquire dust off reference data.
Press the shutter-release button the rest of the way down to acquire Image Dust
Off reference data. The monitor turns off when the shutter-release button is
pressed. Note that noise reduction will be performed if the subject is poorly lit,
increasing recording times.
If the reference object is too bright or too dark, the camera
may be unable to acquire Image Dust Off reference data
and the message shown at right will be displayed. Choose
another reference object and repeat the process from
step 1.
DImage Sensor Cleaning
Dust off reference data recorded before image sensor cleaning is performed can not be used
with photographs taken after image sensor cleaning is performed. Select Clean sensor and
then start only if the dust off reference data will not be used with existing photographs.
DImage Dust Off Reference Data
The same reference data can be used for photographs taken with
different lenses or at different apertures. Reference images can not
be viewed using computer imaging software. A grid pattern is
displayed when reference images are viewed on the camera.

The dust reference photo is used in Capture NX2 to remove the spots automatically.

thanks for the good info

Part of owning a high res DSLR is keeping the insides clean. Especially if you have more than 1 lens. It's no big deal, just clean it. Start with the clean sensor option on the camera menu. If that doesn't work go with a Giottos Rocket and blow the hole lightly upside down, increasing the velocity, then mirror up and do the same procedure. If that doesn't work, go with a wet system sensor cleaner. All the above options are cheaper than the postage to send it back to Nikon, not to mention the bouncing around wear and tear your rig will take getting there and back..

As always the aforementioned is JMHO..... :)

Most reactions

Back