Novatron?

Oh....Reyna...one additional bit of kit you will want if using a synch cord is a way to connect a synch cord to your camera....which in the case of the Nikon D60, happens to be a camera that does not have a PC connector. Sooooooo...the easiest thing to buy is the Nikon AS-15 (accessory shoe, style 15). The AS-15 slides into the hot shoe of any camera (Canon,Nikon, Pentax, whatever) and has a thumb wheel that locks it into place, and connects to the center contact of the hot shoe, and then on the front of the AS-15, thee is a PC connector outlet.

The AS-15 is actually very useful when doing PC connection flash, like on cameras that have an idiotically-positioned PC connector location, like the Canon 5's stupidly-placed one on the left hand side of the body, under a little rubber flappy thing. it re-located the PC connector to a place where one will not constantly cause the flash to come un-hooked.

Thank you for this! I would have gotten the cord and not known! The hot shoe is a little more expensive, but I obviously need this to get it right. I just have having to spend $40 on something and have to give the novatron back and never use it, ya know!

Last edited:
Well, yeah, the D60 does not have a PC connector outlet, so the Nikon AS-15 accessory shoe with PC connector outlet is a very,very handy thing to have,and it is well-made and will last for many years--which can not be said of some of the cheap imitations.

Alternately--you COULD purchase the Household-style synch cord, like the one Village Idiot illustrated, and plug that into the Novatron pack, and then on the end of that cord, attach a "slave" unit, which is a light-sensitive triggering device that responds to photographic flash unit bursts of light....and then, you could use the pop-up flash on the D60 to trigger the slave, which in turn would trip off the power pack and the connected lights.

I've had that same,exact trigger that V-I is suggesting since the mid-1980's...it is WELL worth the $39 price...older Speedotron gear used the "Household" two-blade synch connector system...as did Novatron. If that type of slave fails to trigger, simply pull it out and switch which direction it is plugged into the power pack.

Interestingly, the older Novatron power packs will accept and work with Speedotron Brown Line light units--same plug-in, same trigger voltage...

Most reactions

Back